Think you have bad hair days?

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 24. Aug 2017, 12:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Pity these poor creatures. An ad in the local paper's pet section started ...
'Wired haired fox terrier puppies..'
I know my hair is bad when it gets static but how much worse to have extra current put through!

The small ads are often a source of amusement. One of my favourites was 'lustre bowel'. I suspect this was the result of the local accent coupled with ignorance on the part of the salesperson taking the call, who simply spelled phonetically what s/he heard.
'Birth' for 'berth' in caravan and tent ads is common, and again conjures up some odd images.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I sell on E**y and I'm part of several online groups. In one someone proudly showed some tiny glass bottles and described them as "vile". This was one occasion when I did respond with a correction, "vial".
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Every time I see 'your' when it should be 'you're', I want to reach through the ether and shake them, use our language properly! There are so many different ways to express yourself why misuse your own writing.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    People don't bother to check the gadget they are using so don't spot the auto-choice-correct use by the machine. Younger people are using text-speak in job applications - as far as I'm concerned that would be an immediate reason not to employ them - if you agree say 'Here here!' :wink: When I receive that laziness I always respond with 'There there!' which usually falls upon stony ground. :roll:

My favourite headline was in a local paper and owes everything to a dropped vowel: Thieves Escape as Police Ponce. :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Ah yes, the omitted letter....
    I can't lay my hands on the article right now, but an item about a young man(police or fire service I think) missed the 'l' out of 'public', which put a slightly different slant on things.
  • dreamdaisy
    One of my favourite written errors is 'hare's breath' as in 'He was a hare's breath away from death.' which I think reflects the lost art of clear enunciation. Mind you, what really winds me up is those who shorten arthritis to my late father's name, capital letter and all . . . . DD
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Mind you, what really winds me up is those who shorten arthritis to my late father's name, capital letter and all . . . . DD
    I don't know why, but this annoys me as well.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Me too. I know why. It's because Arthur was (a) my lovely Grandad and (b) two wonderful uncles whereas arthritis is a disease, neither lovely nor wonderful, and not a family member or a pet.

Words can fascinating things. I deplore the sloppiness (Don't I sound ancient :lol: ) of incorrect spellings due to predictive text plus a lack of care but sometimes words can be fun when spelled incorrectly. One of our funniest, longest-running and most widely appreciated threads came about due to a simple missed consonant - the 'Tripe Therapy' thread on LWA. Of course it should have been 'triple' therapy but it came at a time when we were being bombarded with suggestions of curing ourselves via all sorts of ridiculous diets etc and it came as a much-needed relief for those of us who were being made to feel as though we had actually chosen to be ill.

I believe there is a book of newspaper misprints entitled 'A Steroid Hit the Earth'. It always makes me chuckle.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Guilty of the tripe, M'Lud. :D I always bear in mind that posters may have arthritic fingers which may not be that biddable and anyone can make an error. It takes only a little time to check (which I failed to do with the tripe but at least we had some fun with it!) DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I want to know where 'Branch' is??

Also how people are going to 'get' their own coffee at costa, (other food items and establishments are available :wink: )???