Bruising with hydroxychloriquine

Courtney1234
Courtney1234 Member Posts: 60
edited 30. Aug 2017, 03:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, just wondering if someone can help me. I've been taken hydroxychloriquine for nearly 2 months and over the past couple of weeks I've noticed I've got really strange unexplained bruising. Is this something I should worry about or is it a side affect of the medication? The medication hasn't really been agreeing with me and I've had a few nasty side effects like mouth ulcers.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Courtney1234

I am sorry to hear you are having unexplained bruising and mouth ulcers and have been on hydroxychloroquine for nearly two months.

Your query is whether or not these symptoms could be due to the hyrdoxy'.

This information by Arthritis Research UK does not list either of those as possible side effects, but does suggest you should contact your rheumatology team if you have any unusual symptoms.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/hydroxychloroquine/possible-side-effects.aspx

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I had this when I began a different medication but, as it was a listed side-effect I wasn't worried; I still bruise easily though I no longer take that particular medication.

I think you should let your rheumatology unit know this is happening, do you have a helpline number for the department? Another thing to think about is when you had your last bloods done - another test may be required to see if they show anything. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Courtney1234
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I had this when I began a different medication but, as it was a listed side-effect I wasn't worried; I still bruise easily though I no longer take that particular medication.

I think you should let your rheumatology unit know this is happening, do you have a helpline number for the department? Another thing to think about is when you had your last bloods done - another test may be required to see if they show anything. Please let us know how you get on. DD

I have let my rheumatology department know but they don't really seem bothered by it and told me if I want to stop taking the tablets then stop. I had my bloods taken last Wednesday but my GP hasn't looked at them yet.
  • dreamdaisy
    Whereabouts is the bruising happening? Mine was all over my legs and eased after six weeks or so but to this day I still bruise easily; mind you one of the side-effects of one of my meds is increased photosensitivity so maybe that has something to do with it. I have not had mouth ulcers with anything I've taken so can't help on that but I am surprised that your unit was rather dismissive. My most impressive side-effect from a med was excessive hair growth but needless to say not where it would have been appreciated. I would happily have become a blonde werewolf if the arthritis improved but alas, no such luck. DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi, Yes I do take Hydroxychloriquine and find little bruises mainly on the inside of my arm. They just appear and I have to question myself 'where did they come from?' So I'm not sure if it's the Hydro doing it or as DD say's a mix of med's causing them.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As Ellen has said, it's not listed as a side-effect of hydroxy though it is for methotrexate and - I think - for sulph.

Hydroxy is a mild DMARD and not many get side-effects with it but, if it's ongoing and worrying, then do check it out with a doc. I think mouth ulcers can be triggered by NSAIDS, iron deficiency and smoking. Is it worth asking the doc to check your iron levels?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    My acroxia (anti-inflam') definitely gives me mouth ulcers :roll:

Hydroxy has been ok though the most it gives me is an iffy tummy.

I agree with everyone you ought to check with your GP if rheumatology don't seem interested :?

Let us know how you get on

Toni xx
  • Courtney1234
    Thank you all so much for your advice and help. Unfortunately I have had to stop taking my hudroxy as my bloods have shown abnormalities on my liver. I have another blood test Tuesday and have to phone my GP back Wednesday afternoon and we will go for them whether I can continue or will have to completely stop it. I'm absolutely gutted I might have to finish it as it's taken me 2yrs to get some sort of medication, but if it's not agreeing with me then I know it's the best thing to do.
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry this has happened but I'm sure they'll find another DMARD which will work for you. There are several and just because you get a problem with one does not mean you will with others. It will, unfortunately, just take a bit longer. Hang on in there :)
    Steven Wright
  • WhaleRoad
    WhaleRoad Member Posts: 32
    Hi Courtney. I've had unexplained bruising since taking hydroxychloroquine and mouth ulcers for a lot longer. Mouth ulcers can be a sign of another problem rather than a side effect. Have you been investigated for lupus?
  • Courtney1234
    WhaleRoad wrote:
    Hi Courtney. I've had unexplained bruising since taking hydroxychloroquine and mouth ulcers for a lot longer. Mouth ulcers can be a sign of another problem rather than a side effect. Have you been investigated for lupus?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not really sure what I have and haven't been investigated for as I've had so many blood tests. The only think I know is that my ANA (antibodies) are always raised and positive and I know that sometimes that can be an indicator that it's lupus. I've had to stop taking the hydroxychloriquine as my liver function test is raised on bloods I had last week. This hasn't just been a one of thing as this had been happening way before I started any medication so I'm getting slightly worried that what ever illness I have is affecting my liver. I have bloods again tomorrow to re-check it and go from there.
  • frogmorton
    If the unusual liver results also happened before you started on hyrdoxy it could easily be not the cause.

I hope 'they' get to the bottom of the issue ASAP for you ((()))

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    I would agree with frogmorton. If your liver was showing difficulties before you started on hydroxy then the latter is probably not the cause though it may not have helped. How are things now? Have you checked it out with anyone?
    Steven Wright
  • Courtney1234
    I would agree with frogmorton. If your liver was showing difficulties before you started on hydroxy then the latter is probably not the cause though it may not have helped. How are things now? Have you checked it out with anyone?

I had my repeat blood test today, although they couldn't get any blood from me (I don't like to part with it haha) so I have to go back in the morning. The rheumatology nurse just rung me back as she got my message I left about stopping the tablets. She has let my consultant know. I'm really aching at the moment and not feeling 100%.
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry you're so achey and I hope that can be remedied soon.

I, too am reluctant to part with my blood. Apparently, after all the years of blood tests, my veins see the needle approaching and wiggle away at the last minute :lol: Next time, while waiting, try tensing and relaxing your arm muscles. It can help.
    Steven Wright
  • Courtney1234
    I'm sorry you're so achey and I hope that can be remedied soon.

I, too am reluctant to part with my blood. Apparently, after all the years of blood tests, my veins see the needle approaching and wiggle away at the last minute :lol: Next time, while waiting, try tensing and relaxing your arm muscles. It can help.

Thank you, will definitely try that!! Anything is better than looking like a pin cushion :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I am so sorry you are feeling achy, that is a miserable experience; me too so can empathise but at least I know mine is self-induced which should help more than it does. :wink: I hope that you soon start to feel better, I remember the early days of trying this med and that and how tiresome (and tiring) it could be.
    DD
  • WaitingPhoenix
    WaitingPhoenix Member Posts: 18
    Hi Courtney
    I have unexplained bruising on my legs but I am on hydroxy and sulfasalazine and prednisolene at the mo.
    I used to have problems when blood was taken too and they said it's harder to take blood if you're dehydrated so I drink plenty of water before going now which has made a difference.
    WP xxx
  • frogmorton
    My daughter had terrible trouble with her veins while on chemo. She was advised to drink plenty (anything whatever you like best - probably not alcohol though!!!) and it works also being warm. At the hospital they used to give the patients a warm wheatbag.

Best of luck

Toni xxx
  • Courtney1234
    thanks everyone currently in the doctors waiting. Let's hope they can do it today.