Azathioprine

Evie
Evie Member Posts: 14
edited 28. Aug 2017, 03:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone ! I am trying to cope with psoriatic arthritis but reacting to every drug I try - now practically bedbound anyone using azathioprine? Evie x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome Evie

Sorry to hear you are in pain and having adverse effects from medication already tried, it must be very difficult and frustrating for you. You have come to the right place for support!

I have not heard of that type of medication but did find this.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/azathioprine.aspx

which might help.

I am sure that someone on the site will have either heard of it or experienced it.

Our help line is also a source of support and help perhaps a conversation using the above number.

sending hugs

DX
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear that you are almost bedbound and I do hope azathioprine will help.

I've not taken it myself (I'm on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine) but I've found some old threads where it's mentioned by people taking it. http://tinyurl.com/y8ua5qp7

I hope that helps a little but please join us on other threads and other forums. I'd guess that most of us with an autoimmune form of arthritis have had really bad times such as the one you're going through and it does help to talk to people who understaND.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Evie
    Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear that you are almost bedbound and I do hope azathioprine will help.

I've not taken it myself (I'm on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine) but I've found some old threads where it's mentioned by people taking it. http://tinyurl.com/y8ua5qp7

I hope that helps a little but please join us on other threads and other forums. I'd guess that most of us with an autoimmune form of arthritis have had really bad times such as the one you're going through and it does help to talk to people who understaND.

thanks for your help - have not used chatrooms before so getting my head around how to interact - couldnt get on with methotrexate or sulfasalazine or leflunomide so it is a bit anxiety provoking to try another - would prefer to do without but past that point now - waiting for double knee replacement !!! its all fun isnt it?!
  • Evie
    moderator wrote:
    Hello and welcome Evie

Sorry to hear you are in pain and having adverse effects from medication already tried, it must be very difficult and frustrating for you. You have come to the right place for support!

I have not heard of that type of medication but did find this.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/azathioprine.aspx

which might help.

hi - its been around for a long time apparently but feel nervous about it - 2 days in and ok so far (fingers crossed) - double knee replacement due but blood pressure and heart investigations holding this up - hey ho!
    I am sure that someone on the site will have either heard of it or experienced it.

Our help line is also a source of support and help perhaps a conversation using the above number.

sending hugs

DX
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Don't worry about not using chat rooms previously. I think for many of us – me included – this is the one and only forum we've ever used. We have our Moderators here to keep on eye on things which is a very good thing.

It can all seem a bit bewildering at first but you'll soon get used to it. To reply to a post just hit the 'reply' tab underneath it on (I think) the left. If you want to quote a previous post hit the 'reply with quote' tab slightly higher up on the other side. I hope that helps.

I've never used sulph. I was taken off leflunomide after a problem with my asthma and a flu jab but I think, really, it was just that I'd been unknowingly harbouring a cold when I had the jab. Now I like to get my jab in early before the 'cold' season starts. But meth and hydroxychloroquine work for me.

Please don't think of 'trying without'. There is no 'point' to 'pass' on that one. The sooner we start the meds the better. DMARDS weren't on offer when I started in 1961 so I had my knees replaced twenty years later. My life is much easier now that I'm on the right meds. I hope yours works for you. Have you been given exercises to do while you're so immobile?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Azathioprine is one I haven't tried (I have PsA, OA and fibromyalgia). I'm currently taking injected meth and humira and I know they are working because my bloods are lovely (even if very little else is). Over the years I've tried tablet meth, leflunomide, cyclosporine and sulphasalazine, biologically infliximab, Enbrel and now humira. I had a spell in bed back in 2006/7when I had to stop everything (thanks to Enbrel trying to explode my liver rather than bother the arthritis) and it wasn't fun. Side-effects wise I have been fortunate so that's a blessing I value.

When were you diagnosed, which meds have you tried and how did they adversley affect you? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    I took aza for 3 years and it totally failed to work for me, whereas metho. does work for me.

I did not get on with it, in terms of not being able to take a high dose as my body could not tolerate it, it upset my white cell count.

Like all the immune suppresants you have to try them until you find the one that works. I know a number of people who do take it and are perfectly happy with it, obviously the side effect to worry about with it is the risk of cancer (of which I do know a couple of people who did get that)

One has to just balance risk with reward I am afraid.

Good luck.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Evie welcome to the forums from me too :)

I hope the azathioprine works for you in the meantime do come along in and chat to us all.

have you got a date for your knee op(s) yet?

Toni xx