THR & hip injection

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 30. Aug 2017, 12:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am having a lot of pain in my left hip ( I have bilateral THR`s). I have been diagnosed with tronchanteric bursitis. I am going to theatre tomorrow for an injection to hopefully relieve pain from this. I have been waiting, not so patiently for months and can`t wait to hopefully ease the pain in that area, even if it is temporarily.
I still haven`t had my appointment with the Neurosurgeon, which was cancelled in June. I had an MRI of my spine as I am still having a lot of pain and instability in my back , despite having fusion surgery last October. I have contacted the secretary umpteen times, and the appointments office, who hadn`t anything on their system. I am apparently `highlighted` on the secretaries list for the next clinics listed. This has been about 2 months of this now!! I just want my results and some answers!
Has anyone got any advice to get my appointment sorted?
NB

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Really sorry to hear that you're struggling. Just a word of encouragement, I've had steroid injections for trochanteric bursitis 3 times and each one has given me several months of relief, though I made sure to rest completely for 48 hours after each one as advised by the rheumy doctor who did it first time.

In terms of your appointment frustrations, have you tried talking to PALS at the hospital, their role is to be the patients advocate and try and ease communication. I have had some success via this route in the past, though I have to admit it has been less successful on the last occasion.

Hope things get sorted soon.

Deb
  • nearlybionic
    HI
    Thanks Deb- Unfortunately I have to work the following day, but have asked to be office based only. I hope this is enough . I might contact PALS then. I feel awkward ringing the secretary again. She seems to get annoyed when I ask about my appointment.
    Thanks for your reply
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sometimes my GP has tried to hurry appointments for me if he thought it was too long a wait.

NB do check when you have the injection as to whether or not rest is important. No point in going through the hassle of it if rest is essential and you are unable to take it. I hope all goes well, on both fronts.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Sticky
    I have a GP appointment on Thursday evening so I may ask if she can expedite the neuro appointment.
    And I will ask my orthopaedic Dr about after care for the injection, work will be ok.
    Thanks
    NB
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    I am waiting to have my Knees & left hip replaced , with my hip thought it was bursitis & had it injected twice to help but they xray & found because of a infection in that hip 3 tears ago , it's left me with Avascular Necrosis so has to be replaced

as for bursitis , injection will help & one thing I found helped was Tens m/c , strange got bursitis in my elbow & dont hurt but can be very painful but I was getting pain in several places around my hip , one thing they did give my patches that last 12 hours to put on the hip , the injection is pain free
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thank you to everyone who commented and left advice , I really appreciate it.
    I had 3 injections done this morning. I was first on the list so didn`t have to wait too long. It was ok, but was sore and throbbing for a few hours afterwards. I will get follow up in 12 weeks.
    I rang PALS about my outstanding neuro appointment and she has spoken with a waiting list manager who has said there is a problem which is causing a lot of people to be delayed. I should hear by end of September. I have advised them of a couple of dates I can`t do as we are having a few days away. So I will keep on waiting!
    Take care
    NB