Feeling bad today

petals
petals Member Posts: 217
edited 2. Sep 2017, 04:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Two months into my new job and our small community is now ravaged by colds and flu. My daughter caught a really bad cold last week and has of course passed it on to me. Three days later and I have a very sore throat, lost my voice, can't stop coughing even though it's painful and all my bones ache.

I have a six hour shift today, all standing with lots of lifting and reaching. Can't wait for it to be over. Determined not to phone in sick.

Sorry, just feeling crap and needed to vent.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Petals

I can guess at your deleted word there and am not at all surprised!!!

How awful to have to work when you feel so ill.

I hope you have a few days of soon so that you can rest up a bit.

((()))

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Colds are just an added extra which we immuno-suppressed don't need but can't really avoid even though we do take all the hand-washing and anti-bac gel precautions. I bought an electric flosser thing last year. The saleswoman was lovely, kind but uncontrollably sneezing over its box every minute so I didn't open it for a month to give the germs chance to depart.

I presume you'll be holding off the meth this week. I hope you get through without too much hassle and pain but, if you have to take time off you have to take time off.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am sorry that things are rough at the moment - thank you for letting us know so we can offer support.

Those not in the know say 'Oh, it's only a cold' but for the likes of us it's far more than that in its effects and impact, yes? I hope you soon start to feel better - will the Bank Holiday give you a chance to rest and recuperate? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • petals
    Thank you so much for your support everyone. I managed to survive my shift yesterday and thankfully my daughter prepared dinner and served it to me in front of the telly (-:

Feeling slightly better today except my ribs are sore with all the coughing. Completely lost my sense of taste and can't even taste the eucalyptus cough sweets that I've been sucking in hope of clearing my nose so I can breath.

Anyway, I have 3 days off now so can recover in peace.

I will skip my metho for a few days as Sticky suggested (should take it today normally)

Hope everyone enjoys their bank holiday weekend.

Petals
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done on surviving :wink: and well done to your daughter for looking after you. I hope you'll now have chance to recover a bit.

(Bank holiday? What Bank Holiday? I'm in Scotland :D )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My rheumatology department (in a teaching hospital) told me from the beginning to miss at least one week's dose to help me recover quicker and I always have. To me that makes sense but others are told to keep taking the immuno-suppressants which must make it harder to recover. I have not found that missing a week or two of either the meth or humira has made much of a difference to my PsA,, the meds hang around in our systems for some time.

I hope you are able to have a good rest over the long weekend and that you start feeling better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • petals
    Well, things have moved on. I am now recovered from my cold and as I am now nearing the end of my college course I have just applied for my first job in the care industry.

There is a brand new facility being built near where I live and they are advertising for staff, the closing date for applications is today so I got my application in just in the nick of time (-:

Please wish me luck guys.

Also, here in Australia it is the first day of Spring. The sun is shining and the sky is blue.

Feeling good today xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Good to hear things have picked up for you Petals and Happy Spring!! We are keeping our fingers crossed for your job
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Literally just discussing with my OH about now the weather is changing and it's starting to get chilly and whether to keep windows and doors open or not to get some air. Also starting to get sniffles and colds and how they effect me and how to keep me from getting them!!