Quick Methotrexate question

Options
Rog
Rog Member Posts: 24
edited 8. Sep 2017, 15:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
I got my tabs yesterday and want to start this evening (fri)after work, im wondering if its ok to then take the next dose on Wednesday (my day off work) then every week after that?

Comments

• marcel1967
    marcel1967 Member Posts: 1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Don't think so. These tablets are taken once per week. If you want Wednesday, better to wait till then to start. Check with your doctor.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Hi Marcel1967,
    Lovely to meet you, welcome to the forum. It would be great if you posted in Living with Arthritis or the Say Hello forums to say who you are, what your experience with arthritis is and how you are getting on.

Take care
    Yx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Unfortunately, no. You should have been issued a booklet with the meth in which to keep a record of all your blood results. In the front of the booklet it does say we must stick to the same day each week. This is especially important at first as it's important to see how well you tolerate meth and taking an early second dose might tip the balance.

It you prefer to take it at the weekend - and many working people do - just wait until next Friday. It won't make any appreciable difference to how you feel as it can take up to 12 weeks to kick in.

Do ensure you have all the prescribed blood tests. They are what decides how well we are tolerating it not how we feel.

And, good luck! It works for me. I hope it will for you too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    Dont mess about with methotrexate , its only a small dose compared to those taking it to treat cancer but it can cause side effects like inflammation of the liver & why you need regular blood test

Talk to your rheumatology helpline & they should be able to help & sort the day you want to take it .
    Folic acid helps with most of the side effects , I was on 5mg six days a week but some only take one 5mg the day after
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you wish to take it on a Wednesday then wait until next week. We do not take it at high doses but even so it isn't a drug one can mess around with.

When I began I was on fortnightly bloods for three months and alcohol was banned so its possible effect on my liver could be monitored. What information have you been given? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rog
    Options
    I spoke to the pharmacist at the docs and he said as long as it wasnt more than 2 days after my planned day i could go ahead with it, took it last friday evening, was off work on the saturday which helped as i woke up having very bad nausea at 3am in the morning, thankfully my good wife helped me overcome the feeling enough to get back to sleep, i did also have a headache with it and felt very tired aswell for a few days, i also felt like i had a brain fog of some sort as i kept doing the wrong things in work and forgetting stuff, simple stuff (is that normal?)

took my second dose on wed past as i was off work and low and behold thursday morning at 5am nausea and i was to work at 8am, went into work spoke to the asst manager and was determined to stay on until 5pm and i did (dont know how i managed it tho)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well done, Rog. It might be worth ringing your rheumatology helpline re the nausea. The folic acid we take is to lessen any side-effects. They might want to increase your dose of it. How often do you take the F. A.?
    Steven Wright
  • Rog
    Options
    I take it once a week in 5mg tablet form, 48 hrs after meth dose, feel much better today after taking it. Slight headache but still tired though. Hoping that passes. Felt so 'blah' at work yesterday but i stuck it out, not saying next week will be good though, start at 7am then yuk
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'd ring for advice. I've always taken my FA twice a week and never had any problems but I know that some on here, who have had problems, have been advised to take it every day except their meth day. Don't change your dose without checking first but bear it in mind as a potential solution.
    Steven Wright
  • Rog
    Options
    Tomorrow is Meth day number 3, dreading it tbh, work at 7am Thurs morning doesnt seem all that doable, however bloods tomorrow aswell so i may speak to the Rhuemy nurse if shes available.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there,

Meth is indeed a mixed blessing, it does a good job of controlling the disease, but the side effects are for some of us a real issue. Like you I was badly affected by the tablet form, the rheumatologist then prescribed folic acid 6 days out of 7, it helped. What helped more was switching to an injectable form of meth, it took a while to get confident to do it, but definitely reduced the nausea. Talk to your rheumy team, they will be able to help. And if all else fails, there are other drugs out there to try!

Deb
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    What a mixed bunch we are ! I was told to take my Folic acid (5mg) the day before methotrexate,the reason given was that it eased the path for methotrexate. I have always taken medications at breakfast time unless told otherwise.
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 276
    Options
    ive never heard of folic being taken before the methatrexate but it all depends on your situation and what your rhumy advised.

Rog, i hope your third session went well.
    ive been on 20mg for 16 years now and take mine on a saturday after lunch and 2 folic on a sunday and the few times ive had a upset tum or nausea it cleared by sunday evening so im good for work on a monday.