Different leg lengths

Options
krisbe
krisbe Member Posts: 95
edited 20. Sep 2017, 10:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just had my second THR performed by one of the best surgeons. My leg was slightly short on that side and he asked me if he wanted me to correct it and I naturally said yes (it did not effect me). However my leg after surgery is now considerably longer and I am really worrried about this. He didnt say anything to me about it when he came to see me after the op but I noticed it straight away as the ankles dont line up. Has anyone else had this and will it correct itself?? I think it is about an inch and I can feel it when I walk.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello krisbe..
    When I had my first THR my surgeon told me about the difference in leg length ,.and on the second one he did say I will do my best to make them the same..but its not the case..I constantly tread on my trousers on one side..but the difference isn't enough to bother me thank goodness..so I do feel for you..I would certainly ask to see your surgeon again to discuss it..please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    My legs have hardly ever been of equal lengths. The surgeon corrects things briefly at each op and then something else happens.

You don't say how long since your op, krisbe. I'm thinking that, if it's early days / weeks this could sort itself out as muscles etc get stronger. Also, it's bound to feel odd if your legs have never been level before and I'm not sure you'll have the best view of your ankles when looking down at them.

I suggest you have a word with the surgeon when you next see him and / or the physio if that appointment will come first. Please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    Options
    My legs have hardly ever been of equal lengths. The surgeon corrects things briefly at each op and then something else happens.

You don't say how long since your op, krisbe. I'm thinking that, if it's early days / weeks this could sort itself out as muscles etc get stronger. Also, it's bound to feel odd if your legs have never been level before and I'm not sure you'll have the best view of your ankles when looking down at them.

I suggest you have a word with the surgeon when you next see him and / or the physio if that appointment will come first. Please let's know how you get on.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Krisbe

I wonder you are thinking this is your own fault for agreeing to hip trying to correct your initial unequal leg-length?

In your shoes I would ask the consultant at your 6 week follow-up. Don't forget to let them know on the desk when you book in if you actually want to see him/her not a registrar. Although I have met one or two really helpful registrars in the past.

Let us know what happens will you? I hope your pain has eased.

Toni x
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    my right leg is shorter after a moterbike crash with a drunk driver , over years ago & never realy affected me , & now need two TKR because of RA but got alot of other problems going on with my knee & some hope they can correct

I would take time to adjust to your new knee & hope you get on with it , you can have your shoes adjusted to reduce the differance in length but do talk to your consultant
  • krisbe
    Options
    trepolpen wrote:
    my right leg is shorter after a moterbike crash with a drunk driver , over years ago & never realy affected me , & now need two TKR because of RA but got alot of other problems going on with my knee & some hope they can correct

I would take time to adjust to your new knee & hope you get on with it , you can have your shoes adjusted to reduce the differance in length but do talk to your consultant

My leg is very swollen and it is only a week post op. My mobility is fantastic. I know from experience that the swelling takes about 2 months to go down so I am hoping that that things will sort themselves out. I will mention it to the surgeon when I see him at my 6 weeks check.
  • krisbe
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Krisbe

I wonder you are thinking this is your own fault for agreeing to hip trying to correct your initial unequal leg-length?

In your shoes I would ask the consultant at your 6 week follow-up. Don't forget to let them know on the desk when you book in if you actually want to see him/her not a registrar. Although I have met one or two really helpful registrars in the past.

Let us know what happens will you? I hope your pain has eased.

Toni x
    Yes you are right I am thinking maybe I shouldnt have ageed. The op was at a private hospital so I will see the consultant (on NHS)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    A week :o Krisbe, you can't tell anything after only a week. For weeks / months yet everything will be settling into place and strengthening. I wonder you can even see the ankle on that leg :wink:

I'm glad the mobility feels good but don't go walking too much. It exercises that that leg needs more right now as walking will only strengthen some muscles not all.

I'm sure it will sort itself out but, in the unlikely event f that not being the case, don't beat yourself up about this krisbe. Surely anyone would have made the same decision.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright