First pain clinic appt

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 27. Sep 2017, 09:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
So all in all a good appointment and a plan (and we all like one of those!)
Had a good discussion with the consultant, no grading of pain, but lots about how I coped/emotions/adaptations etc. She was not surprised I had had to give up work, we talked about depression and she was pleased I'd had counselling and also very pleased that I had done the Expert Patient Programme. I now understand what chronic pain syndrome is and she also complimented me on how emotionally balanced I was!
She is going to write to my GP to ask that I am put on Gabeptrin (not sure of spelling) and I am going to be referred to Barts where they have a big pain management team for injections into my neck and shoulders.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good, that sounds like a positive appointment and I hope that Barts' magic needles will make a positive difference.

By the way, I think you underestimate yourself in how you have adapted, coped, reacted and responded to the upheaval in your circumstances. You are a strong woman - you may lose sight of that every now and again but it's the truth. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thanks DD, the truth is I am just me.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    That sounds like a productive session Slosh :)

I think the medication recommended might be Gabapentin. It is an anti-epileptic drug which can help reduce pain for some people.

It might help you to have a read of this information by Arthritis Research UK:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/pain-and-arthritis/pain-report/specific-treatments-and-therapies-for-longterm-pain/drugs-for-longterm-pain.aspx

Best wishes

Ellen
  • Slosh
    Thank you, yes that's the one, I was having a touch of brain fog yesterday. Thanks for the link too.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That does sound like a result. I hope it all helps, Slosh.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thanks Sticky. Taking it easy this morning
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    That sounds like a real step forward Slosh, and little by little it seems you're moving on with life and grasping the new realities. You are strong and focussed and have already made the hardest decision. So for now be gentle with yourself whilst you assimilate what you've learned and figure out how to go forward.

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Thank you.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Glad to hear your first appointment went so well, and rather productive.

I've just been discharged from mine (agreed by me and the consultant), as i'm now awaiting for my arthroscopy, andfeeling better in myself. But have the option to be re-referred if this doesn't work out.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Slosh
    Thanks. I think the next will be longer as she talked about getting me in for a morning at Barts.
    Hope you get your arthoscopy appt soon.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Glad it went well.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done Slosh it sounds like you are going to get help there :)

I have tried gabapentin for nerve pain and sadly it didn't help me at all, but it was the only medication I had no problems with at all.

Best of luck

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Thanks. At least things are going to be tried. It's funny how things can help that you don't think about. I talked about using relaxation/breathing exercises as something that came up when I did the Expert patient programme and because I've done that she didn't feel there was anything further I would gain by attending pain management groups.
    Just waiting for the letter so I can see my GP and get started.
    Julian of Norwich