Methotrexate and the 'flu jab.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Oct 2017, 03:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yes, it's getting close to that time of year when 'flu jabs must be arranged. Some of you might be in a similar boat to me: because my GPs surgery does not prescribe the meth they have no record of me taking it because they won't put it on my notes (the 'Nuffin' to do wiv me, Guv' scenario) so I shall be chasing them when I return from me hols.

For those of you who may be new to immuno-suppressant meds this free injection is something to which you are entitled and I think really worth having done. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for the heads up, DD. I like to get mine in early before all the snuffles start as I was once harbouring a cold (unbeknown to me) when I had the flu jab and I'd rather not repeat the process.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    My lovely proactive GP surgery reminded me when I went for bloods last week, so mine is booked! I think which ever DMARDs we take it's worth taking the precaution.

Deb
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    It comes around so quickly. I'm always grateful for your reminders, DD. My GP surgery has my mum as my carer and they always seem to remember her but not me. :? I wouldn't mind but there is a big note on the system saying I'm prescribed MTX and humira by the hospital. They see it every time they open the screen!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Mine is booked along with hubby my daughter has booked hers,as she lives at home still we did enquire if she could get it free as I'm immunosuppressed but they said no but its only a tenner.
  • Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    I am currently off methotrexate but do you think I should still see about getting it as I have RA? I'm still taking hydroxychloroquine. Thanks, natalie x
  • Rog
    Rog Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the heads up, DD. I like to get mine in early before all the snuffles start as I was once harbouring a cold (unbeknown to me) when I had the flu jab and I'd rather not repeat the process.

What is the best time to get it booked? Does it interact with the Meth aswell and any side effects? I need both pnuemacocal ( cant spell it lol ) and flu jabs im told
  • stickywicket
    I don't think it interacts as such, Rog, but, as the purpose of the meth uis to lower our overactive immune systems, we can find, if we're already harbouring something unbeknown to us, that we get a hefty whack of it.

I get mine as soon as possible. I think the pneumonia one is pretty gentle.
    Steven Wright
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Here's a fun fact that might convince people of the jab's importance:

If you're immunosuppressed and contact the flu, you're something like 54 times more likely to die than someone with a normal immune system who contacts flu.
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    i have to say its a must have even though only 38% of my work colleagues had it last year.
    i work in a hospital so around bugs all the time.
    im on 20mg of meth and also a 6 weekly anti tnf infusion (it was infliximab but now changed to the much cheaper remsima) so i have no imune system what so ever.
    i have the flu jab every year with no side effects. you must tell whoever does the jab that you are on meth though as its important its recorded.
  • stickywicket
    Just bumping this up as a reminder because I see predictions are for a bad flu epidemic this year. Australia and New Zealand have had a bad flu winter and it usually means we're in for one too.

The good news is that the boffins have been very successful in predicting which types will be around this winter so anyone having the jab should be covered. We're booked in for Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41254904
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Whilst away I was very surprised to receive a text reminder from the surgery about booking my 'flu jab. I'm being done on October 7th and will ask whether The Spouse should have one too (he's happy to pay).

If you are not sure whether you qualify for one I think it worth checking with a pharmacist. DD
  • stickywicket
    Maybe, unlike the header, my post should be entitled 'Methotrexate and NOT the flu jab' or 'Chest Infection and NOT the flu jab' or 'Not Methotrexate, a Chest Infection and the Flu Jab' :mrgreen:

I booked in early, as usual (for the day after the vaccines arrived) but, as the day dawned, I developed a bit of a tickly cough. Once bitten, twice shy. I cancelled the flu jab, re-booked for the following week and did not meth as a precaution. Wise precaution.

The cough developed into a nasty phlegmy one and I struggle to breath at the best of times with a cough. I think the term is stridor. It landed me in re-sus once. So yesterday I cancelled the flu jab again, today I naturally failed to meth again although the cough is now abating somewhat and the breathing easier (I do like breathing. It makes life so much easier :wink: ).

With luck I'll be able to meth next week and keep my third flu jab appointment the week after. Please wish me luck :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    i had my flu jab today at hospital.
    2 weeks after infusion and 2 days before my 20mg meth.
    no side affects.
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    I had my jab last week, the day after taking 20mg methotrexate. No side effects, no problems. :D
  • Rog
    Rog Member Posts: 24
    I had my jab last week, the day after taking 20mg methotrexate. No side effects, no problems. :D

The flu clinic is running t my gps on the same day as i meth, is this a wise move?
  • dreamdaisy
    No, it's not Rog. In the past when I had to go the hospital for my meth injection they advised me to miss the meth that week (it hangs around in the system so it's not the end of the world to miss a week). DD