Further pocket duties

Options
TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 5. Oct 2017, 09:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, appointments for me seem like buses, you wait for ages then two come along :lol:

I'll be seeing a surgeon this Monday (11am) at my local hospital, to discuss about being referred for an arthroscopy. It's a big step in my arthritis journey, and as most here know, things are just progressing at a greater pace.
I'm struggling to get through a full day at work, due to constant discomfort and the pain (although this is managed by morphine, I can't remain on indefinatley), and my sleeping is affected, so i'm taking amitriptyline to help with that.

I realise that the surgery may not work as hoped, but if it gives me some relief, to the point I can reduce my current pain meds, i'll be happy.

I'll be gratefull for tips, questions to ask, and if anyone here has had an arthropscopy, i'd like to hear how it went (and how long it lasted).

Alastair
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Count me in
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I've had TKRs but no arthroscopy. A friend had an arthroscopy about three years ago now and is back to long walks with no payback. ( :o :? Nope, can't imagine that :lol: )

All I can suggest is to do as the physios say. Don't try to rush things with recovery but equally pain is involved :roll: so it's a matter of gauging when to push through it and when to stop.

As for the appointment - as my US grandson would say, you got it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'll be there chilled after hols!! schair
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Count me in, any form of surgery is not to be undertaken lightly and make sure you do everything you should post-op to ensure the best results possible. It won't solve the problem forever but, unlike Canute, will hopefully be successful at holding back the OA tide for some time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    Just got back from my referral, and first of all thank you for those who could attend, I hardly noticed you were there (not sure that's a good or bad thing :lol: ).

First of all was the obligitory x-rays, which had a slight hiccup, as in I booked in, but appears to have been a mixup as to wether i'd booked in or not :roll: , but once that got sorted, I only need 2 x-rays, one front on and the other side on.

Afte rthis I saw the consultant, and he asked the usual questions, and I explained about the stiffness/soreness, the pain on one side etc, then h3 examined my knee (feeling pain now after that!), and he know wants me to have a futher MRI, as it appears the x-raeys were inconclusive.

Maybe i'm overthinking, but could this not be arthritis? He said it could just be "wear & tear", but isn't that arthritis? I mean I have most of the ususal symtoms, and it's making me miserable. Guess i'll just and wait and see what the upcoming MRI shows.

Alastair
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sorry I couldn't be there sounds like it went reasonably well,I think we are all guilty of over thinking things.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope the wait for the MRI isn't too long, as for the "wear and tear" as far as I am aware it's another way of saying arthritis.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Wear and tear is arthritis. Try not to over think this or worry, Alastair. An MRI shows more than an x-ray and will hopefully cast more light on things.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    Wear and tear is arthritis. Try not to over think this or worry, Alastair. An MRI shows more than an x-ray and will hopefully cast more light on things.

I'm guilty of that far too often, but that's human nature I guess. I'll just wait and see what the MRI shows.

Thanks again for the replies.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Alastair, Sorry I didnt make it for your appointment, my OH had an arthroscopy quite a few years ago now, he was in agony walking with an horrible grating sensation..
    They washed out the bits that were worn away, and he came home after a few hours , he was out for the count but came to very quickly so it must have been some sort of sedative...he rested for a couple of and that was that..only now a few years on is he having pain again but nowhere near has bad..his words...
    I suppose it depends on what they find on the MRI...hope it all goes well..
    Love
    Barbara