Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Blurred vision

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 20. Nov 2017, 05:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question. At my recent hospital appointment I had methorexate added to the sulfasalazine I already take. Its probably nothing but over the last couple of days I've been getting very dry, itchy eyes and slightly blurred vision. I just wondered if anyone had experienced this with medication or if it is unrelated. I do wear a mild prescription of reading glasses occasionally but it seems to have got worse in the last week.

I have sacrolillitis which is caused by seronegative inflammatory arthritis; which mainly effects my back, hips, wrists and ankles. At my last appointment they started to suspect that it may be AS.

Thanks,

Kirsty.

Comments

  • dibdabdibdab Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Kirsty,

    Sorry to hear that you've got eye problems, just a thought but dry eyes can occur with inflammatory arthritis, so it may be worth mentioning it to your GP or rheumy team. I had similar problems and it turned out that was the case, so I now have gel tears which I use every day- no more itching, gritty, blood shot eyes-great relief all round ! Or maybe a check up at your opticians would be helpful if the vision is blurred?

    Deb x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dibdab wrote:
    Hi Kirsty,

    Sorry to hear that you've got eye problems, just a thought but dry eyes can occur with inflammatory arthritis, so it may be worth mentioning it to your GP or rheumy team. I had similar problems and it turned out that was the case, so I now have gel tears which I use every day- no more itching, gritty, blood shot eyes-great relief all round ! Or maybe a check up at your opticians would be helpful if the vision is blurred?

    Deb x

    Hi Deb,

    Thank you for your advice and help. Next time I go to the doctors I’ll mention it. I got some eye drops on the way home from work so hopefully it’ll help. I did think I might go to the opticians if it doesn’t go back to normal soon.

    Thanks again,

    Kirsty.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've not experienced this with meth but it might be worth having a word with your pharmacist if only to ensure you have the right kind of eye drops for your problem. (I seem to recall a bewildering array of them.) But do see the doc if it doesn't clear up or gets worse. How are things now?
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • bubbadogbubbadog Posts: 5,852
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Funnily enough 5 weeks ago I started getting teary eyes that made me look like I was crying constantly!! I went to the Doctor's saw a locum who said I had viral conjunctivitis. Started on antibiotics, finished the course and there was no change so spoke to my normal G.P who said there was a note saying if no change it must be 'Blepharitis' which since using these specialist wipes for my eyes has helped a lot. Blepharitis unfortunately is something you have to live with and control.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've not experienced this with meth but it might be worth having a word with your pharmacist if only to ensure you have the right kind of eye drops for your problem. (I seem to recall a bewildering array of them.) But do see the doc if it doesn't clear up or gets worse. How are things now?

    Hi,

    They haven’t been feeling as dry just a bit blurry so I’ll see how it goes. I’ve got an awful sore throat at the moment though which I thought was developing to a cold but doesn’t seem to be. I’ve got my first blood test on meth tomorrow so hopefully that’ll put my mind at rest. I’m going to phone the doctors next week if it doesn’t go off just to be on the safe side.

    Thanks for your advice and for asking.

    Kirsty


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    bubbadog wrote:
    Funnily enough 5 weeks ago I started getting teary eyes that made me look like I was crying constantly!! I went to the Doctor's saw a locum who said I had viral conjunctivitis. Started on antibiotics, finished the course and there was no change so spoke to my normal G.P who said there was a note saying if no change it must be 'Blepharitis' which since using these specialist wipes for my eyes has helped a lot. Blepharitis unfortunately is something you have to live with and control.

    Hi,

    Thank you for your reply. I’m glad they have identified what’s making your eyes so sore and thank you for letting me know. Think I’ll see how it goes this week and will speak to either the nurse or GP.

    Thanks again,

    Kirsty


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Kirsty07 wrote:
    I’m going to phone the doctors next week if it doesn’t go off just to be on the safe side.

    A good plan :D Let's know how you get on.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
Sign In or Register to comment.