I am not retired...

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 27. Dec 2017, 09:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have decided that although I have retired from teaching I am not going to describe myself as retired, mainly as that adds about 5-10 years to my age!
Instead I am describing myself as a former teacher who is now a small business owner with a unique range of jewellery.
Words are powerful, and how we describe ourselves is important.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Slosh

I don't think we actually retire mentally. I now teach children in India (through Skype) to educate themselves. It is such a change, the kids love learning and are really eager for the sessions.

Love Denise x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My heart sank for a moment, I thought decisions had been overturned and you were back at the chalk face!

I agree that how we choose to define and/or describe ourselves is important. The 'R' word has never bothered me (I retired a few years ago now, one of my better decisions!) but it bothers The Spouse, who 'stopped doing what he was doing' earlier this year: such a clumsy mouthful. We have to define ourselves every now and again to new people and yours is a good way of doing so. When I am asked 'What do you do?' I always reply 'As little as possible.' :wink: DD

christmas01
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    A repurposed/upcycled teacher?!
    In an age when retirement from an occupation doesn't mean retirement as our parents knew it there is certainly a need to find some other way of describing a different stage of our working life.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    My heart sank for a moment, I thought decisions had been overturned and you were back at the chalk face!
    DD that was my initial reaction too. So glad it wasn't the case.
  • Slosh
    Sorry for the fright DD and daffy2. Totally unintentional. Mind you due to the school's HR officer reverting to her usual state of uselessness despite notification being recieved 22nd November and being assured everything was being processed in an email on 7th December I have just been informed the date to inform payroll so my notice pay would be paid in my December pay was missed (pay gets brought forward in December) and so won't be processed until the New Year.
    Am going to fire off an email that I know won't be read until then but listing all the dates I tried to contact her but was ignored!
    So I still have nothing in writing and I'm just hoping this won't hold up my pension being processed as I've heard nothing there either. I'm going to be busy Jan 2nd!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Phew! I also saw the title to the thread and thought "oh no!".

I think you should say you are a self-employed, highly-skilled entrepreneur myself. (We may even see you on a certain TV programme where you have to avoid someone telling you "you're fired!"). :lol:

Such a shame though that the correct paperwork hasn't been processed properly. It would have been lovely if you'd been able to start the new year without having any remaining actions from this process. I hope you get it sorted - and quickly.

Take care and enjoy being your own boss!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Thank you, I can't see myself on that particular programme, or the one with the dragons! I am quite happy with meeting Theo Paphitis next Febuary to collect my award from him.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Good for you Slosh. Hopefully the business will be only a small part of your life and the rest will be your choice enjoying the good things in life.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I am gratefully underemployed! I just haven't got the time to go and do things like work! It took me a while to think myself out of the work ethic and now i just don't have the time.

My workshop or as oh says my 'mancave' is a saviour and now its a problem fitting in enough time, I need a 30 hour day or a 9 day week or both?

P. S. How do you get cyano out of jeans, Gorilla glue out of yer hair or epoxy off the settee.....?

P.S.S. Make sure you sell Theo something, that would be the icing on the cake!
  • Slosh
    What I love is the fact I can work with my body rather than against it. With my job one of the hardest things was just forcing my body through each day, fighting with the pain while trying to keep a smile on my face and stay calm and patient. I had got to the point where I would often be in tears on a Tuesday evening because I knew what the next three days would be like.

I feel so much more relaxed now, and if I do, do too much or just have "one of those days" I can just give in to it with no worries about letting school down.

Now a sale to Mr P? Mmm perhaps I need to start making cufflinks!
    Julian of Norwich