new to all this

casandra
casandra Member Posts: 26
edited 31. Jan 2018, 03:07 in Say Hello Archive
Hi have just been diagnosed with Inlammatory RA. Am waiting for blood results to see what meds I need. At the moment am on steroids and co-codamol. Had a booster injection of steroids to keep me going I suppose till results come back. Have severe pain in wrists and hands so have to pick the right time to type with one finger! Also pain in knees, shoulders, soles of feet - you name it's there. I would appreciate any advice from people on here - feel a bit lost at the moment. Thanks. Carol

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Carol and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis and the pain you are experiencing. I see you have already seen a rheumatologist and are waiting to start medication. No need to feel alone or lost any more you have found this forum now :)

I wonder whether you have read this:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/inflammatory-arthritis-pathway.aspx

You are already part of the way along the pathway, but it can be useful to get yourself as informed as possible.

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can.

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes,

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am sorry we have had to meet but you have found a good place for understanding, reliable information and compassion. I have another kind of auto-immune inflammatory arthritis (psoriatic) which began back in 1997 and, to cut a long story short, went for five years without treatment. I am positive that the faster the diagnosis and the quicker one begins the meds, the better the outcome can be.

I was first given sulphasalazine, then that was boosted with tablet methotrexate. Over the years other meds have been tried and stopped, my current combination is working well, I know that because my bloods are lovely. I have a lifetime of meds and doctors so none of this was particularly startling but, if you are coming at this from a healthy background, it must seem very daunting and confusing. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, none are too small or silly for us: we all get it because we've got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Carol
    Its such a shock when first diagnosed..but it will do you good to talk about things..and we are all good at that..so stick with us.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • casandra
    yjank you for the welcome. pain quite bad this am. i usually dont feel human till about 10 . hands and wrist are worse particularly thumbs. would a splint help, every move of hands causes pain and a knock sends me through the roof. amazing how much you use them. will read the link when i can concentrate a bit better. will keep you updated as i go through the journey. thank you its good to know there is someone who understands,
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Hello Carol and welcome from me, too.

I, too, started with RA in my fingers, many many years ago and it's true that one doesn't realise quite how much we use joints until they start protesting. I hope you'll soon be on some meds that work well for you. I'm good on a combination of methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine.

You ask if a splint would help. I'm not familiar with thumb splints. I've had wrist splints and knee splints and also ankle and neck supports. The key is not to overuse such aids as, by immobilising the joint, the encourage the muscles to nod off :wink: and we need strong muscles to support our weak joints. Used briefly though, they can be very useful.

The link about the Pathway is a very good one so I hope you find it helpful.

Things do get better - really :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • casandra
    thanks stickywicket. I do hope to be able to drive again and walk my dog. The pain is dreadful isn't it. Keeping my spirits up and you have helped saying it does get better. Many thanks for your support.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    I didn't even learn to drive until I got a Motability cae. It was so liberating..

How are things today? It sounds as if the steroids and cocos aren't helping much.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I too hope you have had a better day today: sometimes we don't realise what actually constitutes a good day until we have a really bad one. :roll: DD
  • casandra
    hi and thanks for the info. The meds do help take the edge of pain but still have bad pain in thumb and across palms under fingers. Not sure if its the osteo or the RA???? Bought some thumb splints with soft metal in. They made a vast improvement as the thumb is partially immobile. Found I can do more things around the house with no pain. The pain is also in the fleshy part of thumb and middle of palm is a shooting pain when pressed on. Anyone had this and is there some help for it? Thanks a mill. Carol. Hope others are dealing with this better.
  • dreamdaisy
    Pain is the constant companion of arthritis and the best we can do is to find ways to reduce its impact upon us. When we feel pain we unconsciously change the way we hold ourselves and move which tends to spread the discomfort to other areas. I have no idea what is causing the pain in the palm - is it both of them? It could be referred pain from a joint, it could be that something is pressing on a nerve somewhere - your GP is the one to ask. DD
  • casandra
    thanks DD. I had problem 2 years ago where the sheath that tendons run through had to have injections to reduce the swelling. Maybe it's back again but in all fingers . Will ask about it. Thanks Carol x
  • casandra
    Hi all. Have had 2 weeks on steroids and painkillers plus splints and my hands are so much better. Even managed to drive my car again!!!!!!!!!!! My next app with rheumy id feb 20th so will have more info then. Pleases kepp replying to posts its so helpfull to know there are people out there who know whats going on. cheers Carol
  • dreamdaisy
    If you post then we'll reply. This is one of the quieter boards so you may gain more responses if you post on the Living With Arthritis board. I am pleased that things have brightened for the time being so make the most of it! Don't be tempted to over-use your hands though - they may be feeling better but they are still troubled, pain relief dulls the sharper edges and steroids mask, not cure. DD