Consultancy on Stairlifts

catsmum
catsmum Member Posts: 3
Does anyone know an independent contractor/consultant who can give us some advice over choice of stairlift for our rather old house between Halifax and Rochdale. We have had a couple of visit from specific companies who were rather rude and ultimately not helpful - our staircases are rather narrow.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear catsmm. I'm not a member of the Helpline team, just an ordinary forum member but I saw your post and it set me remembering.

About 10-12 years ago I was told by a very reliable shop selling stairlifts that there had to be a certain amount of clearance between the lift and the opposite wall for safety's sake.

One thing that might help - I've found my local Adult Social Care people very helpful in offering advice and pointing me in the right direction for things.

A final thought - in the days when we were contemplating a stairlift it was suggested that an actual lift (in a corner of a room) might be more suitable. They don't take up quite as much space as you might think.

I'm sure the Helpline people will have more, and better, suggestions but, just in case..... :D Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Another forum member here!
    The Shaw Trust http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk might be able to help.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Hi Catsmum,

Thank you for posting on our Helplines Forum and for your enquiry about stair lifts.

Daffy2 has given a helpful link to Living Made Easy and, as stickywicket has said, you could try contacting your local social services for help. A home assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) may be worth considering. This can be arranged through social services or you GP.

The Disabled Living Foundation provides free and impartial advice about equipment to make life easier, including stair lifts. Freephone 0300 999 0004 www.dlf.org.uk Arthritis Care are unable to recommend particular companies and products.

For more information about choosing a stair lift, follow this link: https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/daily-life/stairlifts-and-homelifts.aspx

If at any point you would like to talk things through, you are very welcome to give us a call on our Arthritis Care free helpline 0808 800 4050 weekdays 9.30am - 5pm.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helplines Worker
  • catsmum
    catsmum Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. My enquiry is mainly for my husband whose arthritis is much worse than mine. We've already been visited by the OT, who lives only a few doors away, but her suggestions were not particularly useful. The Shaw Trust looks interesting and I shall also be contacting DLF.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I saw your post and it took me back to when we were living in our old house, a Victorian three storey mid-terrace with two flights of narrow, steep and straight stairs. As my arthritis advanced we moved the bedroom down one floor and then the prospect was losing the dining room (which we had used as a bedroom when I had operations). I knew a stairlift was not an option due to the narrowness of the stairs plus no room at the top or bottom for 'landing' so we had to move. As we were no longer happy living there that wasn't a problem but if you love your house I hope you can find a solution. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben