Winter Olympics commentators

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
edited 26. Feb 2018, 06:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Is it me or do half of them seem to be on speed? They seem utterly manic.

I noticed some of the T20 cricket was going the same way. Yes, a six or potential six is exciting but not that exciting and screeching about it makes it less pleasurable not more.

Or, am I just getting old?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am in agreement - the worst offenders are the late thirties-early-forties-I-have-yet-to-mature blokes who commentate on the toddlers - sorry, snowboarders - and fancy skiers. They ruin it.

Today's essay topic is 'Curling is an Interesting Game. Discuss.' I think it is the only 'sport' that has run the entire length of the games, every day sees lengthy coverage of bowls on ice . . . . YAAAAAAAAAWN. I bet the blokes don't sweep that enthusiastically at home when there's housework to be done. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Classic commentary from the overgrown toddlers covering the toddler Big Air: 'Billy Morgan's friends and family will be watching this through their eyes.' Quality work, boys! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Perhaps I shouldn't lament the whooping and hollering. Maybe it protects us from more of the inanities if they actually attempt to speak in sentences.

Curling? I quite like it. Must be the Scottish influence :D
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,459
    Options
    The powers that be seem to see this unfettered enthusiasm (and uncontrolled) of the commentators as catering to the younger watcher and I agree that those in their 40s try to stay in contact with their youth by mimicking the behaviour of a younger group and attempting to delay their growing up.

If you watched the winter games you had to be 'well stoked' at the results.

You only have to see other events to see the same type of reporting, perhaps 'cool' is the new language for those in their forties?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'd go more for 'pathetic', Airwave :wink: I have two sons in their 40's and I can't imagine either of them 'commentating' like that. Whatever happened to the famed English understatement?

I recall a couple of juxtaposed Wimbledon commentaries from many years back. On exactly the same game we heard first the American commentary where no gaps were left for breaths then the late Dan Maskell saying 'Oh my word!" or "Quite extraordinary!" I guess we need a few more words in order to learn something of the nature of the stroke but "Woweeee!!" and "Yeaaah!" are not the ones.
    Steven Wright