Hi, I am Paul

Options
PaulT
PaulT Member Posts: 2
edited 27. Feb 2018, 09:53 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, my name is Paul. I am retired. About 18 months ago I had this absolutely excruciating pain in my left hand big toe at about 02:00 one night and if I had an axe think I would have chopped my toe off.

To my GP who thought it might be gout, giving Ibuprofen and told to go back if not back to normal. Had not fully cleared up after a couple of weeks, back to the surgery, saw the practice nurse who took a blood test that did not show up gout.

I knew from the start about purins - a neighbour has gout and I had researched purins for her previously. Right from the start I stopped drinking any alcohol and have not since - amazing how some people are keen that you start again - and also avoiding anything high in purins.

Eventually, back to normal.......until a few days ago and back again though it has eased. Perhaps, I had stopped watching the purins so much. So print out the good and the bad and a little more research.....only to discover that one organisation lists a certain item as high and another low, what goes on.

Thought I would look at the NHS website and was directed to this organisation.

Any views on a 'good' site regarding purins would be most welcome.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Paul,

Welcome to our forum, sorry you had to find us because of your pain. There are members on here who may have had gout and may also be able to tell you more about purins. You will find the members on this site friendly, will be able to offer you advice, information and support. I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more of the Arthritis "hangers on" or care for family with the same.

Arthritis Research UK has an article on self help for gout and talks about purins the link to it is:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/gout/self-help-and-daily-living.aspx

Also Arthritis Care has an item on gout and tells of some of the things that have purins in :

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/a-z-of-types/54-gout

If you would like to talk to someone about food to avoid and gout you could ring Arthritis Care's Freephone helpline which is open Monday to Friday 9-5. it is 0808 800 4050. The people on the helpline have links to much information and can sign post you in the right direction.

Look forward to seeing you on the forums again.
    Best wishes

ChrisK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, my husband has the occasional bout of gout; he is fortunate in that they are rare and a few days of naproxen soon sorts matters. I suspect that your blood tests revealed higher than acceptable figures for your inflammatory markers but nothing else, hence the diagnosis. I know that gout is an auto-immune inflammatory condition (which number close to three hundred), that its occurrence has nothing to do with the consumption of alcohol, that purins can be a trigger and a medication called allopurinol (I think) can be taken to control matters in more severe cases: pretty good knowledge for someone who doesn't have it, yes? :wink:

Do you have a family history of auto-immune inflammatory conditions? If so this would indicate your having a genetic pre-disposition rather than it starting it out of the blue - but that is also a possibility. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello Paul. I'm sorry you qualify to join us :wink: but this is a good place to be for anyone with any form of arthritis.

I don't know much about gout personally though I know far too much about RA and OA :roll:

I found a different bit of the ARUK site here https://tinyurl.com/yaa56b49
    As you'll see, purines from diet are only about 1/3 of the problem. The other 2/3 is our own bodies.

Any form of arthritis can come and go, especially in the initial stages. The fact that your gout eased up might be due to your cutting out purines but it might simply have been biding its time. I believe anti-inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen, can help for those who only get occasional flashes of gout but many have to take allopurinol regularly to keep it at bay. I believe it's very effective. I suggest you go back to your doc and see what he / she says. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright