onset Knee OA

Options
Momo
Momo Member Posts: 4
edited 7. Mar 2018, 04:25 in Say Hello Archive
Hello,

I am new to this forum as well as to Arthritis. I have recently been diagnosed with onset of knee OA after MRI and X-Ray scans. Pain is still moderate but often nagging, especially after activity, and it sometimes prevents me from sleeping. The cartilage hasn't broken down yet and I am still able to do some moderate exercise and flexibility training. I have now started to take glucosamine sulfate and am waiting for physio. I am also waiting for blood test results to make sure it's not RA.

Cheers!
Momo

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Momo,

Welcome to the forum, I have OA of the knee too so I see where you are coming from. Keeping exercising is great, keeping your muscles strong supports the knee best and keeps it mobile.

Here's a leaflet about living with osteoarthritis,

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/893/OA_2017_Update_original.pdf?1510589554

Keep in touch as your diagnosis is confirmed and ask any questions you need.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • Momo
    Momo Member Posts: 4
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Momo,

Welcome to the forum, I have OA of the knee too so I see where you are coming from. Keeping exercising is great, keeping your muscles strong supports the knee best and keeps it mobile.

Here's a leaflet about living with osteoarthritis,

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/893/OA_2017_Update_original.pdf?1510589554

Keep in touch as your diagnosis is confirmed and ask any questions you need.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, the time that I was at your stage passed unnoticed thanks to my other arthritis - the damage from that caused my OA which affects my ankles, my knees and my hips. Physio is important for keeping the muscles that support the joints strong and flexible, this will help to take the edge of the pain but no more. I recently started work with a personal trainer (I am years ahead of you in terms of living with this) and I do her work in addition to my post- operation physio exercises which date back to 2002.

OA does limit our activities, I have learned to stop when I think I can do more and I cannot recall my last night of uninterrupted sleep: as a matter of routine I take pain relief around an hour before I settle. I have both kinds of arthritis, an auto-immune came first in 1997 (eventually diagnosed as psoriatic in 2006) and the OA was diagnosed in 2011. Life is not a bundle of laughs but I haven't lost my ability to laugh - that's important! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi Momo. Good to hear from you though I'm sorry about the arthritis. I hope it's not an autoimmune kind such as RA (I have that) but best to get it checked out. There is lots of info on the top grey menu so have a read and then, if we can help with any questions you might have, we're here :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright