pain

jayne
jayne Member Posts: 7
edited 19. Mar 2018, 05:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
have been in severe pain with a trapped nerve going into my groin, i have sero-negetive arthritis and osteo. does anyone know how i can relieve this as i cant walk properly. :| jayne.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Jayne and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your trapped nerve. I believe they can be extremely painful even to those of us used to pain. (I have RA and OA so can empathise).

I think your GP is your best bet. Although only the rheumatologist can prescribe DMARDS the GP can deal with pain relief and I believe there are specific meds for nerve pain. I hope you can find something quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jayne
    Hello Jayne and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your trapped nerve. I believe they can be extremely painful even to those of us used to pain. (I have RA and OA so can empathise).

I think your GP is your best bet. Although only the rheumatologist can prescribe DMARDS the GP can deal with pain relief and I believe there are specific meds for nerve pain. I hope you can find something quickly.
    thank you,
    yes have been to docs and have to rest up for a while. have pain relief but cant have anything else much stronger as have other health issues
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's a perennial problem faced by so many on here, despite already having one or two conditions others happily arrive to cause further troubles. :roll: The advice to see your GP is good but we didn't know you already had, neither did you specify what pain relief you are taking so it's hard to know what to advise, especially when we are not medical experts. Rest sounds to be a sensible option, that is often the most beneficial action. My mother, in her very early seventies, had severe sciatica for some months which hydrotherapy eventually sorted but she was fortunate in that arthritis was not present in her life at that time: it does complicate matters doesn't it?

I hope you can find a solution, maybe another forum member who has faced similar troubles will spot your post and reply with something more helpful. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jayne
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, it's a perennial problem faced by so many on here, despite already having one or two conditions others happily arrive to cause further troubles. :roll: The advice to see your GP is good but we didn't know you already had, neither did you specify what pain relief you are taking so it's hard to know what to advise, especially when we are not medical experts. Rest sounds to be a sensible option, that is often the most beneficial action. My mother, in her very early seventies, had severe sciatica for some months which hydrotherapy eventually sorted but she was fortunate in that arthritis was not present in her life at that time: it does complicate matters doesn't it?

I hope you can find a solution, maybe another forum member who has faced similar troubles will spot your post and reply with something more helpful. I wish you well. DD

thank you for your reply and im sorry i didnt include more info. new here and not used to forums x
  • stickywicket
    Poor you! It must be quite scary knowing that one can't take better pain relief.

Has your GP suggested physio? If not, it might be worth asking for some.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jayne

I don't know if this helps, but I try a load of things when in pain. A warm wheatbag (microwaved one), my tens machine as well as pain meds and anti-inflammatories.

Do you know where the nerve is coming from that's trapped?

I don't know what health issues are stopping you trying stronger pain meds, but I hope your GP can help either by thinking through all options medication-wise or by referring you for physio. If the problem is likely to be long-term maybe even a pain clinic referral.

Might be an idea, if you don't already use one, to try a walking aid of some sort for now to help you keep mobile??

Best of luck

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Just a suggestion, what about physio/osteopath or even acupuncture to stop the agitated nerve?
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Hello Jayne. As well as my RA meds, I also take Gabapentin for nerve pain. My RH Dr told me it’s Ok to combine. Perhaps you could discuss this with your GP
  • jayne
    Poor you! It must be quite scary knowing that one can't take better pain relief.

Has your GP suggested physio? If not, it might be worth asking for some.

yes im down for some physio but not hopeful really , im going to ask about acupuncture when i see him
  • stickywicket
    Acupuncture is certainly worth an ask but don't dismiss the physio. It can work wonders. It did for me.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello jayne, I still do the physio exercises that I was given over fifteen years ago - others have been added along the way - and although they do not do much in terms of reducing my pain levels they certainly help to preserve the range of movement in my joints which is so important. I tried acupuncture but without much success; for some, however, it works wonders and I hope that is the case for you. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Acupuncture is certainly worth an ask but don't dismiss the physio. It can work wonders. It did for me.

The physio actually gave me acupuncture in the past a course :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello jayne, we're a few days on now, how are things going? DD