Dry cough. Methotrexate or bad timing?

Gwennomai
Gwennomai Member Posts: 9
edited 5. Apr 2018, 09:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi anyone reading ☺
I had my first methotrexate jab on Friday (15mg) after years of being off any medication. Felt pretty misrable all day Friday and by Saturday I had developed a horrible dry cough. I have no other symptoms of a cold etc but the cough is driving me insane already. Its so violent I've thrown up twice and I haven't slept since Saturday. This morning I left a msg with the rheumatology helpline and I've tried to get a gp appointment (I was just told to try again tommorow at 8.30). Is it just bad timing that it started on the day after methotrexate or is it something related? I remember having a lot of chest infections last time I was on methotrexate but never just a cough on its own with no cold/mucus etc. Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi. I'm sorry you're having all this hassle with the cough. Unfortunately we can't diagnose. You do need to see a medical professional for that.

I read your other post and see you had meth previously. Was your chest checked out before you were put back on it? None of us can say whether your current cough is meth-related or just an unhappy coincidence. Certainly there have been some horrible coughs going round this winter causing awful coughs in normally healthy people. Personally I always stop my meth for a week or so whenever any cough, cold or bug strikes but I've been on it for 18 years with no problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Gwennomai
    Thank you for your reply ☺ appreciate the comments. Just thought I'd ask while I'm waiting to hear back from nurse to see if it was a common thing. I had a chest xray couple of weeks ago and lung function test last Wednesday and I'm assuming it's all OK. I'm debating weather I should just go to out of hours just to put my mind at ease. I'm not one to usually worry and I leave it till last min to go to Dr's but I know I can't now I'm back on methotrexate xxx
  • stickywicket
    This is purely a personal feeling. I'd suspect you've been harbouring something when you took your meth and were unaware of it. Then you trook the meth which did its job of repressing your immune system - good for the arthritis but bad for the bug.

Presumably you aren't due to take more meth for a week but you do need ro know what to do re your next dose.
    Steven Wright
  • Gwennomai
    Turns out to be a chest infection. Antibiotics for a week and skip a dose of methotrexate. Need a chest xray in the morning but I think that's routine. Dr said must have been something brewing and methotrexate must have just tipped me over the edge. Thank you so much for your replies xxx
  • stickywicket
    You're welcome. That explanation makes perfect sense. I hope the antibios work quickly.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, how are you feeling now? Are the anti-biotics helping to ease the chest infection? My hospital has always advised me to stop my meds when I have an infection so I hope the delay in starting the meth won't cause too many problems. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Gwennomai
    4th day of antibiotics today and I'm feeling worse then ever 😔 got a high temp and coughing up bloody mucus. Still haven't heard back off rheum nurse (supposed to double check with them about skipping the methotrexate) . All gp said was I have to finish the course of amoxacillin before they put me on anything else. Sorry feeling a bit sorry for myself today, haven't slept for more then 20 min at a time since Saturday xxx
  • stickywicket
    I don't like the sound of blood in the mucus. Maybe you need stronger antibiotics. In any case, I'm not sure about the wisdom on combining antibios with meth. I don't think anything bad is likely to happen but I think they tend to work against each other.

I hope the nurse has got back to you but, whether or mot, I think you should talk to the GP again. Please keep in touch.
    Steven Wright
  • Gwennomai
    Still no call back off the nurse. Left a couple of messages now. Im just not going to take the methotrexate tommorow. Better to be safe then sorry. Trip back to out of hours I think (forgot it was Bank Holiday).
  • dreamdaisy
    The reasoning behind stopping the meth is sound: that suppresses the immune system which one needs to help fight off infection. You haven't had enough meth yet to compromise your immune system but you may well need another course of anti-bios, you definitely need to see your GP. I recently had flu (you can still catch it despite the jab) and a tooth extraction, I had around eight weeks off my meds and am now being rewarded with a flare. :roll:

I'm sorry the nurse has not been in touch, there could be all kinds of reasons but it's bad that she hasn't been. One of my friends was a nurse in rheumatology (a popular one too because she had RA) and she used to get very fed up with patients who would ring the Helpline and say 'Hello, it's Linda, call me back please.' No surname, no hospital number, no phone number. There were at least twenty patients called Linda so should she have rung them all? :lol: DD
  • Gwennomai
    Hi ☺ sorry it's taken a while to reply. I finally had my chest xray and it turns out I have pneumonia. 3rd lot of antibiotics now. Managed to convince the Dr that I would be OK at home because they were talking of keeping me in (I had to pinky promise that I would come streight back in if there was any problems lol) .I'm so glad because that would have been a nightmare with the kids and husband taking time off work etc. I'm starting to feel a lot better now. Still no reply off rheumatology (I always make sure to leave my g number dob etc ☺) but Dr has told me not to take the methotrexate until I've had the all clear and that he would write and let them know.
  • stickywicket
    So sorry to hear about the pneumonia but glad that things seem to be improving and your GP has taken charge. I hope the meth can eventually be resumed.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    One thing I have learned over my arthritic years is to do my 'medmin' (medical administration) and not leave it to others who might mean well with their offer but are far busier and may well forget (and often have).

I am pleased that you are finally on the right road to recovery and I hope that things start to improve sooner rather than later. DD