Hello

Options
Gill58
Gill58 Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Apr 2018, 14:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am a newbie and have arthritis of the lower spine , right foot and knee, and left hand. I was also diagnosed with scoliosis when I had my MRI. I get a lot of back and pelvic pain I use over the counter pain killers but they do not work very well so I am struggling at work and this in turn is slowing me down any advise would be greatly received . thanks.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. It sounds as though you have osteo arthritis, are you seeing your GP about it? He is the one to advise on pain relief and can prescribe stronger medication than one can buy OTC (over the counter). I am lucky in that I can tolerate codeine so use co-codamol, a combination of codeine and paracetamol. This can be bought OTC in two strengths, 8/500 and 12.5/500 but my level, 30/500 has to be prescribed.

I can't advise on work either, I am now retired but when I was working I was self-employed so could tailor matters to suit my ever decreasing physical abilities. There are many threads on the working and benefits board on here about employment issues so you may find a read of that interesting. I began my first arthritis in 1997 aged 37, OA was diagnosed in 2011 and I am now 59: my spine remains unaffected for the time being but the rest of me is steadily being shot to bits. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gill58,

Welcome to the forum, the right place to come for advice on living well in spite of arthritis.

Over the counter pain meds can fail to give enough relief, it may be time to visit your GP and explain what pain you have, where and if you can whether anything makes it better or worse. Also what you have been taking and what effect these have had. Then it's trial and error to see what works for you, I have a mix of pain relief, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) and Amytriptylene at night as a muscle relaxant. It may be a visit to a pain clinic or physio could help too, your GP can advise on those.

Here's a link to our Living with osteoarthritis booklet
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/223-living-with-osteoarthritis

If arthritis affects work you could ask for a review to see if there are ways you could be helped to make you more comfortable. Others know much more about this than me

Take care
    Yvonne x