Google Doctor

Options
Polly66
Polly66 Member Posts: 12
Any help appreciated... I have been living with significant OA for last 15 years I am 52! Have it diagnosed in knees and hands, suspect it is in other places. Recently diagnosed with high uric acid and now taking allopurinol so possibly gout in hands. Recently saw rheumatology and although crp raised no positive RA factor therefore no further diagnosis. I have also got Achilles tendon problem and also woke up randomly last week completely out of the blue with severe coccyx pain which GP says is coccydynia. This week I have developed yellow pitted nails. So fed up with going to GP I googled symptoms and it seems I have a few of the symptoms of PsA. 1. Pain and swelling fingers, 2. Pitted discolouration of nails. 3. Pain and swelling at base of spine 4. Achilles tendon problems and heel pain. 5. Fatigue. Are my symptoms completely problems in their own right or are they connected?

Any thoughts or info would be great.

:-)

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Polly66
    I'm sorry to hear that you've got pain and problems at the moment. I wonder whether you've got back in touch with rheumatology? Because diagnosis is really their area it may be a question of working through what's been happening with them. The first step is raising what's been happening with the rheumatology nurse if you don't have an appointment due. If you have been unlucky enough to have been signed off by them, then you will have to go through the GP.
    Here's a link to further points about how psoriatic arthritis may be diagnosed
    https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/psoriatic-arthritis/diagnosis.aspx

I wonder how you are doing with your self-management? A healthy eating routine to keep weight down and keeping moving will support the overall picture - and it's something positive that you can be doing, even if you are trying to get other things investigated.

If you'd like a chat about what's going on, you'd be most welcome to ring us at the Helpline.

Kind regards
    Guy
  • Polly66
    Polly66 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I have been signed off as everything has been put down as OA. I really don't think I can be bothered for yet another referral to Rheumatolgy as not been very helpful. Don't get me wrong I don't want another type of arthritis but seems like I am experiencing too many unlinked problems. Maybe it's me looking for something that is not there and hoping for a treatment plan!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Polly66
    Not everyone gets the gout side of things treated - typically with long-term urate lowering drugs.
    If gout continues to happen in the background, it can lead to joint damage that's entirely preventable. So do check this with your GP if you are not sure.
    https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/gout.aspx
    I hope that's helpful
    Guy