Advice about big toe arthritis, please?

Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 18. May 2018, 02:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had arthritis in my feet for years - particularly mid-foot arthritis in my right foot where the only option left would be surgery, which is not on at the moment. Pain in my left foot became more noticeable a couple of months ago and I thought it may be a bunion. However, the GP looked at it and declared, while I have a slight bunion, the main problem is osteoarthritis in the big toe. Blinking painful, anyway!

Can anyone advise me about any sort of support I could buy that would help, please? Or any other suggestions?

Meg

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Meg,

Sorry about hear of your challenges.

I too have arthritis in my big toe, right foot, came on suddenly, one day I could walk and the next I couldn't, or at least not without considerable pain in the ball of my foot.

I had an x-ray and they said severe degeneration in the mtp.

Currently waiting to see a surgeon , its been 2 months so far.

I have tried all sorts of supports, my other issue is I have very small wide feet and can't put my foot into a shoe, too painful, so am wearing sandals.

I did find the bunion support thing helpful for a short while but I think my foot has swollen more and it is now too tight.

A chiropodist I saw stuck a bit of dense foam(?) where my big toe rests in the sandal and it helps a little.

I have tried memory foam insoles, helped a little but won't fit into shoe, becomes too tight.

I have another support due today, which I'll let you know about, placing my hopes on that.

I take turmeric paste and paracetemol which helps the pain a little.

Good luck. Personally I am desperate for the surgery as I can't go on like this...
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Hi Meg, you will need shoes with a deep cushion sole that are still on the firmish side to support your feet, I'm on my eighth pair of walking shoes/trainers (with replaceable soles) and if I do change then it upsets my feet, knees, hips etc etc. All my feet joints hurt so walking for longer periods is out.

I have had two ops and wear carbon foot and arch supports in the soles, from the podiatrist at the hosp, they really do help. I wonder if I had some help years ago would I be in such a state now?

Never take 'no' from your GP!
  • palo
    Meg, the latest toe support I am trying has helped with the pain, as it cushions the ball of the foot and keeps the toe straight and supported. Link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Big-Toe-Bunion-Splint-Straightener-Corrector-Hallux-Valgus-Relief-Foot-UK/162945504288?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Thank you so much for your replies. I, too, got an orthosis from the hospital a few years ago, Airwave!, for the mid-foot arthritis in my right foot and this does seem to help some of the time. However, when it flares up, it flares up and I can't put it to the ground for some days.

I've also bought some Skechers trainers with memory foam and these have a lot of room around the toe and are pretty comfortable, again, some of the time.

I was really interested to hear about your latest toe support, Palo, thanks for the link. I see that they are one size, 6" - 12". Are these OK for you? I only take a 2 1/2, but the length of my feet are approximately 8". I also had a look at the same thing on Amazon and see that their sizing begins at a size 4. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your op, which I trust will mean a big improvement.

Thanks again, all. Much appreciated.

Meg
  • palo
    Hi Meg,

Its a one size fits all. My feet are about 8" long but very wide (6E), so similar length to yours Meg. Yes, it has really helped the pain on walking.

Thank you
  • palo
    Meg where do you buy your shoes from, you mention you are a 2 1/2
    is that wide too?