In pain all of the time.

hippyhop
hippyhop Member Posts: 9
edited 27. Jun 2018, 04:15 in Say Hello Archive
Hello
I have moderate to degenerative arthritis in my right hip. I eventually got referred to the hip doctor at hospital this year who told me on a scale of 1/4 it's just below three. He will do a replacement but not yet.
So in the meantime, I am still in pain and last couple of days I am having another flare up!
So much so my lovely colleague took me home from work this morning (I am a teacher assistant).
I have been give nefopam for pain relief..
I struggle doing anything that affects my right leg, laces shoes socks etc including walking up steps or a higher gradient.
I have finally got my referral through for NHS physio and as good as the NHS is, they have already told me it may not be weekly.
Wish there was a magic potion to the pain away.
Ann

Comments

• hippyhop
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Kitty,
    I have looked at the website and will try the excerises when present flare comes down. I am in pain all the time and can generally handle it but also had a dreadful sleep last night and the cold air this morning didn't help.
    I only take nefopam when I need to and it's just now taking the edge away.
    My only other options of pain relief were opium based or Prozac neither of which I wanted to take. So not totally sure what else I could take. I go back to hip doctor in August but I had told him in February my struggles.
    I am trying to lose a bit of weight but with an under active thyroid which has only just been treated properly by being referred to the endocrinologist, so I am hoping now that I will be able to lose some weight soon.
    Thanks
    Ann
  • hippyhop
    Hello Kitty
    I have looked t website and will try excel uses when feeling better. As for pain relief Other alternatives were opium based or prozac or something like that and I didn't want to take anything like that. I had told my sergeon my struggles in February but I am now going to note everything down to show him in August when I go back.
    Thanks
    Ann
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I too have OA, it was diagnosed back in 2011 and took me by surprise because I already had one of the auto-immune kinds so it was kinda hidden. Now it isn't. :lol:

Stairs can be a nuisance, the mantra is good leg to heaven, bad leg to hell i.e. you lead with the good leg going up and the poorer leg coming down. They are much easier if you are willing to do them one step at a time so one foot up (or down) then bring the other to the same step before proceeding again. I've been using sticks and rollators for years (I am far more advanced in terms of affected joints) but still find hills a problem: really steep ones are avoided. Socks and laces can be a struggle, I haven't worn tights for years because getting the second leg in and going isn't easy and wastes too much of my limited and precious energy.

I don't envy you having the trouble so localised, when I think back to the days between 1997 and 2003, when I had one affected joint, it really stood out so I gave it far more attention than it deserved. For pain relief I use 30/500 cocodamol, I find that four a day dulls things sufficiently for me to get on but isn't effective enough to hide the signs that I am overdoing things. I was able to carry on working for seventeen years (I was a self-employed tutor, doing less and less as things got worse and worse) but the relief of stopping is still appreciated.

Rest is essential, changing how you do things can also help: I do all my veg prep sitting down, the ironing too. I've bought cordless vacuums - they are a joy - and in fact we moved house to eliminate stairs from my life: an expensive solution to an increasing problem! :lol: I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it - and we all wish we didn't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Ann :) I was wondering if you'd been offered anti-inflammatory meds such as ibuprofen, naproxen etc. Forgive me if you have and I've missed it. They just seem the obvious thing to prescribe.

Also, it's true that you might not get many sessions of physio. It's usually a matter of giving the exercises plus a follow-up session to ensure you're doing them correctly. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hippyhop
    Hello sticky wicket
    They were the first pain relief that I was taking but unfortunately never really work. The nefopam has now at least taken the edge away.
    And yes agree with your view on physio!
  • hippyhop
    Hello Daisy Dreams
    Thanks for your reply yes it just localised pain so I guess that is why I feel it more. Normally I can sort of cope with it but every now and then it flares up, I forecast the rain today before the weather people did.
    I go up the stairs with my left leg first but find it hard to walk on my left leg first.
    As for work I have decided to take today off as well to have it really rested up.
    I am unable to take coodamol unfortunately.
    I can normally sort of cope with the pain but yesterdays was pretty dreadful.
    At least it has rained now and is getting warmer for the weekend.
    Ann
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things today? I hope the rest has helped matters, it usually does. DD
  • hippyhop
    Hello dreamdaisy
    Yes the rest did help, I did go back into work today as it felt better, still as always in pain but much better. And working in school it's half term next week so lots of resting will be done then to.
    Thanks for asking and hope everything is ok with you.
    Ann
  • stickywicket
    I hope you have a good, restful week off but do remember we are here for the bad times. Even when we can't come up with any suggestions we can empathise with the pain and how it drags us down.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Anne and a warm welcome form me..
    Gosh I understand how bad the hip pain is, I have had both replaced and very happy with them..Physio can be a big help early day so hopefully the pain will ease..you get a good rest..with some exercise in between then you dont stiffen up..
    Love
    Barbara
  • hippyhop
    Hello Barbara
    Yes the sound of having the hip replacement is good, it's painful all the time (but at times it flares up) which makes it worse and difficult to put socks on, tie laces, bend down is not so bad it's the getting up again! So makes some types of housework harder these days. Will see what physio say but will be seeing sergeon again soon, so will be making my point across!
  • stickywicket
    There are all sorts of gadgets available for help with everyday jobs. Try any disability store, real or online, for 'sock putter-onners'. Tey also have long-handled nail scissors. I have a cordless vac which made my life infinitely easier especially once we moved to a place that was all laminate. Use velcro fastening shoes rather than lace ups. There are lots of ways we can help ourselves which are never obvious until we need them :D
    Steven Wright
  • hippyhop
    Well after only to physiotherapy sessions, he has asked to get back in contact with my hip sergeon sooner. My movement of my right hip is very restricted. He said he would have a letter ready for me. However again, physio said I was still probably too young for one!
    Certainly would like to be pain free and able to do more again!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Wouldn't we all. Operations do not necessarily solve pain issues, the key is learningto do more (or at least maintaining activity) whilst in pain. It's not an easy art to master but a useful one to learn. DD