Hi I'm new

Purple1
Purple1 Member Posts: 4
edited 31. May 2018, 09:06 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»πŸ‘‹πŸ»
I'm new here, been diagnosed with stage 3 arthritis in my right knee. I'm 39 yrs old. Joined to get some help and advice on how to help myself.
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Purple1 and welcome to the forums on behalf of the moderation team.

I am so sorry to hear about your Arthritis in your knee I am presuming its Osteoarthritis? This forum is full of useful advice on how to help yourself manage your condition.

It might be worth popping your postcode in here to see if there are any pain management courses near you:
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/in-your-area

This is a useful leaflet to help manage pain.

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/217-managing-pain

and finally this is specific info with regards to Osteoarthritis of the knee:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee.aspx

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can.

Best wishes,

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I presume you have osteo arthritis (OA), I do too in both knees but have no idea what stage it's at as it's never been categorised in that way. I know from Xrays that I am bone-on-bone throughout both joints.

I began with psoriatic arthritis back in 1997, when I was 37. OA was diagnosed in 2011 but I hadn't a clue I had it because it was hidden by the other. The OA affects both ankles, both knees and both hips. I manage it with pain relief, rest and suitable exercise but I have had years of practice :wink: What has your GP suggested? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me too :D I've had both knees replaced but I was never told what 'stage' they were at - presumably terminal :lol: It's not much fun having arthritic knees and we're good at supporting each other on here as we do understand.

For general tips the 'Living With Arthritis' section (grey top menu) is very good. If you have specific questions ask away, preferably on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look in there :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Purple1
    Thanks for info and welcome.
    Should have said a bit about me.
    I had PVNS when I was 16 and had a synovectomy. I had a meniscus tear last yr and had surgery and then another meniscus tear this year this year and more surgery for that. I went back for my post op appointment with surgeon and they told me from all they have seen I have stage 3 arthritis and there are 4 stages. I haven't seen my go yet. I work and have two early teens children. I'm hoping to get ideas and support here.
    Thanks
  • stickywicket
    PVNS? Sorry, I'm hopeless with initials.

It sounds as if you're coping very well if you're still working with a very bad knee. Do you take medication for it?
    Steven Wright
  • Purple1
    PVNS
    Pigmented vilododular synovitus.
    It's a disease or tumor I think they now call it of the synovium.

Don't take any prescription medication just paracetamol and ibuprofen.

My pain is random at any time but in one particular place in my knee. Like a stabbing hot poker it takes by breath away sometimes. If I sit down for too long I get up and am stuff and sore. I have to work I'm 39 with a mortgage and 2 kids.
  • stickywicket
    Thanks for enlightening me :D (I've still never heard of it :roll: )

You really are doing well if you're managing on paracetamol and ibuprofen. Other things that help are eating a healthy diet / keeping the weight down and exercising the knee. The more you can keep it going the easier it'll be for you as, with a cash-strapped NHS, they tend not to want to operate until patients are at least 50 (to ensure they don't need to replace the replacement as that's a bigger operation. Cycling and swimming are recommended though not the breast stroke kick.
    Steven Wright