Emflex

Zoe13
Zoe13 Member Posts: 2
My Father suffers chronically with both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. He's been taking Emflex for years and it really helps him. The pharmacists for the nhs say it is no longer available. Does anybody know whether he can buy privately, or is there an identical drug still available but under a different name? Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Zoe13,

It's lovely to meet you, your Dad is very lucky to have you looking out for him at a time when he must be worried.

It is right that Emflex has stopped being bought by our NHS. It seems to be due to the very small number of patients on it. Your Dad (and you?) need to visit your GP who is the perfect person to prescribe an alternative and explain what was going on.

There are many Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory drugs available (NSAID's) - I have found my GP happy to change my medication to one which better suited me. Your Dad may also need to ask about a stomach protector as some medicines can be harsh on the stomach.

Our helplines team are brilliantly clever and will be back on Monday with further advice I'm sure.

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Zoe,

I'm not a member of the Helpline team just an ordinary forum member who also has RA and OA.

As Yvonne says there are lots of other NSAIDS available and your Dad's GP is the best person to ask though his rheumatologist would be even better.

I don't take any NSAIDS now as the Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) prescribed by my rheumatologist keep my RA in good check and I just take a couple of painkillers on a night to help with the OA.

I hope one of the other NSAIDS will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Zoe13 wrote:
    My Father suffers chronically with both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. He's been taking Emflex for years and it really helps him. The pharmacists for the nhs say it is no longer available. Does anybody know whether he can buy privately, or is there an identical drug still available but under a different name? Thanks

Dear Zoe13
    Thank you for your forum posting. Your father should talk to the medical professionals who has been prescribing this medication that this is no longer available and what alternatives may be an option.
    You could also speak to them (his GP or rheumatology team) about buying it privately but as it is prescription only and no longer available this may not be possible or advisable.
    Please see the attached link for our information on medication that may be of help to you https://arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/1422-medication-for-your-arthritis this looks at the main types of medication that those with arthritis may be prescribed.
    I hope that this is helpful.
    Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Zoe13
    If your father is over 65 it's worth being aware that there are some extra points that may affect his options as far as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are concerned (it concerns a greater risk of side effects among the elderly with these drugs.)
    see the NHS link below

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nsaids/#who-can-take-nsaids

I hope that's helpful
    Guy