Taking biologic early

Options
jennand
jennand Member Posts: 131
edited 16. Jan 2019, 17:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anybody do this? I am going on holiday this weekend ( YEY!) and I have my injections on Sundays. I know I can miss a week but I wondered if I could have it on Saturday before I fly. I remember the nurse saying I could have it late, but not early. Would it be drastic if I did it?

Comments

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi jennand
    I’ve always understood the same - that you can take it a wee bit later, if necessary, but not earlier.
    Would it be worth phoning the rheumatology department or hospital pharmacy to get an expert answer?
    I do know that you can take Benepali out of the fridge to take on holiday - and provided it’s kept at room temp, it’s good for the best part of a month. It can’t go back into the fridge once it’s come up to room temp.
    It shouldn’t go in your hold luggage but should be kept with you at all times. It shouldn’t go through the X-ray scanner at airport security.
    You can get a letter from Healthcare@Home to give the airport security people to explain things.
    If this would be useful, give H@H a ring and ask to speak to someone in pharmacy. They can email you the letter, admittedly via a convoluted security doodah - but it is workable.
    I’ve never had a problem going through UK airport security with my injectable meds - they just give the box a swab to check for undesirable substances, which is fair enough.

I hope you have a fantastic holiday!
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks Betty. I already have a letter from HaH but I’m thinking more of taking the travel sharps box as I’m only taking hand luggage. It isn’t a big deal, I can actually miss a dose, but I missed one last week but one due to a cold. Never mind, it won’t do any harm this time. A bit of sun will do me more good anyway.
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options
    That’s good you’ve already got a covering letter from H@H.
    I tend to stick the used syringe in my toilet bag and put it in the sharps bin when I get home.
    The lid goes back on after use - sort of. And I’m the only person with access to my toiletries so I think it’s safe enough.

Enjoy the sun. Wish I was coming too - instead, I’ll be dodging the snow in Scotland.