Sulfasalazine & Fatigue

Options
Frankiefocus50
Frankiefocus50 Member Posts: 4
edited 18. Jan 2019, 04:08 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone I was diagnosed with RA around June last year. Swelling knee joints which are all right now after steriods shots from my consultant. I was on methotrexate but got terrible neausia and know take sulfasalazine & hydroxychloroquine daily as the pain travels around my body somtimes in my elbow, hip, fingers, jaw & feet. My blood tests still indicate high inflammation. Everyday other day is different. What I would like to know is the fatigue I get from my meds...will this last as I would like to get back to work but allways tired and in pain at the moment since starting the meds 6 months ago. I have been on sulfasalazine for 6 weeks now.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome,there are many on here and the experience is vast - I'm sure you'll get the answer to your question.If you need any help feel free to ask.
    Al
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think the fatigue is caused by the medication you are taking not being strong enough to control disease activity. Auto-immune arthritis is caused by an over-active immune system, the medication works by damping it down to reduce this activity but it does not cure. I was on one medication for around two months (this was back in 2002) and ever since it's been two or more. Sulph is a DMARD and hydroxy an NSAID, maybe another DMARD needs adding to the mix: leflunomide is one, cyclosporine another. If your inflammation levels are still raised then that is proof that your disease is not under control.

it can take time to find the right combination of meds to suit although I have to say things are better now then they were when I began: I had to fail on three DMARDs before I was allowed access to the biologics. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Frankiefocus50

Just a quick correction: Hydroxy is a DMARD, (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug), not a NSAID, (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammataory Drug).

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/hydroxychloroquine/

as is Sulfasalazine, but there are many others:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/disease-modifying-anti-rheumatic-drugs-dmards/

In my own case I find intense fatigue to be part of the disease. I very much hope that once the right combination of drugs is found for you it will lessen.

Best wishes

Ellen