Hello

stevebux
stevebux Member Posts: 2
edited 21. Jan 2019, 11:26 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, my name is Steve and I suffer with RA, have done so for approx 12 years. I have been prescribed numerous medicines to relieve the pain, all of which I defeated. I have now been prescribed Benepali - Etanercept, which I have been on for about 4 months and it's wonderful - not had a flare up during that period.

On the downside, I have had issues with my left knee, the diagnosis is osteoarthritis - if it wasn't for bad luck....

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Steve
    Welcome to the forum. The members are friendly, empathic, knowledgeable, they will offer you support and advice from their point of view. I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis 'hangers on' or care for family with the same.
    There are people on the forum who have rheumatoid arthritis and also osteoarthritis who will offer you advice and light relief.
    The only thing to remember is that none of us are medically trained and therefore cannot answer any medical queries.
    Versus Arthritis has a freephone helpline on 0800 520 0520 if you feel it would help to talk to someone.
    At the top of the page you will see several buttons which when used can give you information on subjects relevant to Arthritis and it's related conditions.
    I look forward to reading your future posts to see how you are getting on.
    best,wishes
    ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Steve. I've had RA for many years (I started at 15) and am one of those that Mod ChrisK is referring to who have 'done the double' of RA and OA. In my case this was because my RA arrived a few years before modern DMARDS so it had paved the way beautifully for OA before I actually got on them :roll:

Now, unfortunately, the meds we are prescribed for RA make no impression on OA. Indeed, these meds are not intended to 'relieve pain' as such but to hold back the disease. Any damage already done will continue to hurt whatever DMARDS or biologics we try. For OA what is required is a lot of patience, exercise(s) and far too much common sense.

It's great that the etanercept is holding your RA at bay. Long may that continue. As for the OA – you could ask for a physio referral or just do some regular exercises on your own. It's important to exercise ALL the muscles as strong muscles protect the joint and do make life a little bit easier. As well as exercise, rest comes into it. It's a tricky balance. After that it's just pain relief from your GP. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright