Pain and overheating.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Feb 2019, 06:30 in Living with arthritis
Thanks to the weather my knees and ankles have bonfires within, scorching pain and searing twangs elsewhere, all the work of the OA. In bed last night (it was minus five here) he had disappeared into a Tshirt under a 13.5 tog duvet and three blankets (one of which was doubled). I was naked with the duvet thrown back, lying on a bath towel sweating like a pig, seriously considering standing outside for a while to cool down.

I am sure that for me there is a correlation between pain levels, moving and sweating but last night was especially extreme. My body has to work harder to achieve less and the effort involved does lead to sweatiness but when doing nothing? A tide of heat washed over me, reminding me of the menopause days, so I am now wondering whether I should take some action to find out if there is something amiss. I know that fibromyalgia can affect the body's temperature regulation so it could be that, it could be a side-effect from medication, it could be the pain but, TBH, I do not currently have the inclination to investigate. The joy of feeling cold eludes me, the glorious snuggles into winter woolies, the soft touch of cashmere, sitting by a crackling fire seeing pictures in the flames, cradling a cup of tea in my frozen hands - all joys denied as I mop myself down for the umpteenth time. I am back to doing the Dance of the Seven Soggy Bathtowels - and here comes another hot tide: I'm off to the snowy wastes of the back garden in jarmies and flip-flops: bliss! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    If it isn't one thing it's another. We, too, are largely incompatible in the bedclothes department. He tends to have more than I do and currently (-6 last night) I wonder I don't get up squashed flat in the morning under the weight.

But, luckily, sweating isn't a problem for me. It is a known condition, though, and can be associated with several things including 'RA' (that well-known blanket term for 'all types of arthritis other than OA :roll: ) If that's the culprit I'm afraid you're stuffed. Mind you, I see that 'pregnancy' is also a cause. DD, you're not, are you :wink:

Seriously, if you believe it's pain-related, all you can do is treat the pain and I'm sure you are doing. Sometimes, life is a b
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I can relate to this only too well sadly.

My winter quilt is a 7.5 tog one. And most nights that's too warm for me. On the odd night it's cold and I need more bedding over me, I pull up a blanket over the quilt which does the trick nicely.

My "power surges" are due entirely to the menopause (sorry chaps!). They are exactly as DD has described and can leave me feeling completely washed out - literally. And I'm on medication for these!

I have to say that my OA is also flaring due to the cold/wet weather - every single joint which is affected has joined in the party and they are having a right old time. Not helped by the fact I've recently had the office lurgy (why don't people stay at home when they are sick :roll: ?) And today I had the first appointment for a dental crown. Thankfully I'm exempt from paying for dental fees - had that been the case the tooth would now be with the tooth fairy! :wink:

Oh, wouldn't it be lovely if we had another "Forum Baby"? :lol:
    Seriously DD I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Another tropical / Arctic night has passed in the DD household :roll: . He went swimming this morning so I stood in the back garden, in the ice, in nothing :shock: - and finally cooled down. BLISS. Then I had a kipper for breakfast and discovered that heaven is there if one cares to find it. :D

In informal discussions with others I have met who have ongoing pain I don't think I am alone in this 'predicament' - one lady I chatted too whilst mopping myself down with my handbag towel had had a severe tooth infection and sweated gallons whilst it was being treated; once it had healed she returned to temperature normality. Must be nice to be mended. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I stood in the back garden, in the ice, in nothing

I know you have mentioned this previously but, for the benefit of anyone not in the know, I think I should point out that your garden is completely private and not overlooked and you will, therefore, not be featured tomorrow morning on the front pages of the lesser tabloids :wink:

Might it be worth monitoring what you eat before bedtime? Perhaps certain foods / drinks make it worse.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    I was thinking of you this morning DD at 03.30 when I was trotting around the garden in the snow looking for our Ridgeback who had decided to have a barking competition with all the dogs in the dale(barking is one of his joys in life his previous owner said he didn't bark!!) I don't mind the odd one but not at 3 a.m.For an old dog he can move surprisingly well now, after playing hide and seek for 10 mins I returned to the house suitably cool and able to get back to bed refreshed, and able to face the fight to get back to sleep once comfortable. I am not looking forward to the heat in the summer.My garden isn't overlooked but I wouldn't have the guts to go out without my nightie I do have the neighbour from hell who wanders the boundary of the gardens at all times of the night I don't want to give him an excuse to go off on one of his temper tantrums. Can't think how I would explain to the police it was because he had seen me in the nuddy.
  • dreamdaisy
    I too was awake doing one of my alphabet lists: the rule this time was two syllable, six-letter words with no letters repeated: almost, behind, catnip, danger etc. We have a neighbour who allows their dog to bark all night, presumably because they are at work and the dog is shut out. It's highly annoying. One summer I went out into the garden in my nightie and a bee flew up for investigations: never again! We have no immediate neighbours and I cannot envisage now living in any other way. I hope you stay cool tonight! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Another classic sweat-fest this morning, the stresses and strains of a shower followed too quickly by dressing. Clean top sodden. Idiot. :lol: DD