walking boots

nanny2507
nanny2507 Member Posts: 27
edited 12. Feb 2019, 14:40 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone. My hospital have advised that i get a good pair of walking boots... (quick backstory..OA in feet PSA in hands). I am having rapid and major progression of OA in feet and i am struggling to walk but i,ll be damned if i am giving up walking my dogs. Now the problem is the arthritis in my hands means i cant do up laces and the OA in feet means i cant bend my foot to wiggle into footwear. Has anyone found/used any walking boots that may cover both these issues?

Sarah

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can only wear surgical shoes but I can relate to your problems a bit as my ankles are fused so getting feet, even into shoes, is not without difficulties. All I can suggest is ones that open as wide as possible and fasten with velcro. It's not quite as good as laces because it's harder to pull it tight. I use a long-handled shoehorn to pull mine as tight as possible. Two pairs of socks will protect your feet more than one so ensure the boots are big enough.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nanny2507
    thank you. Probably not a good idea to get off the internet then?
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    Probably not a good idea to get off the internet then?

I believe the NHS can provide footwear in some cases.
    Might be worth a bit of research as they'd be custom made for your feet.

Walking with a dog is one of the best things in life!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I have arthritis in my feet and ankles. I buy good walking boots but a size bigger to accommodate my orthotics and ankle support. I wonder whether a referral to the orthotics department might help you? My purpose made orthotics certainly make my feet less painful, and I can switch them about between shoes, and the ankle support provided by the orthotist enables me to walk further with less pain (not no pain!), but can only be worn intermittently in order to preserve natural muscle strength. My referral to orthotics came via the rheumatology team at the hospital, but I suspect your GP may also be able to refer.

As for buying boots, I always go into a reputable store to try initially to make sure they fit generously, but have been known to buy the same shoe on line as a replacement at a later date. I take out the laces as I can't fasten them either but buy elastic laces with toggles-my daughter threads them for me, then I can manage to tighten and loosen the toggle when I use them. Like SW I find a long handles shoe horn invaluable, they are available on line, but I got mine quite cheaply in a certain well known Swedish store!
  • nanny2507
    thanks for the tips x It was orthotics that advised me to get the walking boots. I am waiting for an appointment to pick up my caliper. i am hoping this will improve my walk with the doggies. t115006
  • stickywicket
    Now I'm confused. (Believe me, it doesn't take much :oops: ) When I wore a caliper, in a vain attempt to keep my foot in line with my legs) it was a device that fitted into the sole of my surgical shoe then fastened just under my knee. It couldn't have been worn with any other shoe or boot as the hole for it wouldn't have been there. Has this changed, or are they planning to enable one to fit into your boots? This is just my idle curiosity. Feel free to ignore it :wink:

By the way, when I mentioned a long-handled shoe horn I meant it with a back scratcher combo. Sounds odd but the 'hand' of the back scratcher element is what I use to fasten my shoes' velcro by trapping it between the 'fingers'. If you go down this route I'd advise buying a good quality one as the cheaper ones break quickly. just google Deluxe Back Scratcher and Shoe Horn.
    Steven Wright
  • Joel
    Joel Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I don't know if they still do them but Merrell Moab walking boots used to be really comfy with a lot of arch support and crucially they had the option to an elasticated lace which was a push button draw string at the top, so no knot tying.
    I used to have a pair and loved them waterproof with good ankle support too and easy to get on and off. Plus if you want to go bigger but not a full size they used to do them in half sizes too.
    Failing that get a pair you like and order some lock laces... these are no tie shoe and boot laces that just draw closed.
    I have PSA in my hands, knees and feet too plus Plantar fasciitis. So i completely sympathise!

Hope this helps!

(p.s. I have no affiliation to Merrell... other brands are available :-D )
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can no longer wear walking boots that come up high over the ankle - far from supporting them they destroy them. :lol: I could not get my right foot into a desert boot the other day (a tried-and-tested product from Clark's, I have four pairs) because a small change in design means it no longer opens sufficiently wide. My feet used to be size seven, AA width, after twenty years of arthritis I am a 7.5 and EE (although I can be 6 in one Spanish brand and 9 plus in American footwear). My feet have also become totally flat.

My feet begin a size smaller then as the day wears on they change shape and often volume, hardly surprising as I have PsA in all my toes plus OA in other leg joints and I keep mobile. Do not buy from the net, you need to try in real life and generally speaking the more you spend the better the design and quality of the shoe or boot. Hotter do good designs featuring a deep toe box and good outdoor shops should be able to advise and fit you properly.

I met a lady once who was confined to a wheelchair: she was very stylishly dressed and sporting a pair of red-soled stilletto heels by Louboutin (sp?) She was delighted to wear them as she couldn't walk in them and regarded them as an investment: they were five years old, pristine and worth more than she paid despite being 'used'. Great attitude! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nanny2507
    sticky.... yes they fit them to your own shoes now. DD i have a pair of hotter shoes they are so comfy. Thats what my calipers are being fitted to.
  • stickywicket
    So simple. Yet so much better. Thanks for the update.
    Steven Wright