Jaw pain

Options
Claire89
Claire89 Member Posts: 13
edited 25. Feb 2019, 13:47 in Living with arthritis
Hi I have psoriatic arthritis and querying osteo in my back now the pain in my back is unreal I cant bend and can hardly walk but now my jaw is agony aswell I struggle to open my mouth it makes a crunching noise or locks then cracks. Can't cope with all different pains at the same time has made my mood really low.thanks for reading if anyone has any tips to help will be great thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Have you seen a physio for exercises, Claire? Sorry if you've mentioned this before and I've simply forgotten. They really do help but also, if your jaw is bad, you should mention it to your GP or rheumatologist so that they can keep an eye on it. It also sounds as if your DMARDS might not be sufficient to hold your disease in check. Maybe a phone call to your rheumatology helpline?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Claire89
    Claire89 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I have tried physio a few times for my knees and my back but hasn't helped much I try the stretching and exercise they gave but then I just stiffen up and end up in more pain I think cause I have hypermobility aswell it hurts me more trying a normal posture exercises that suit everyone else.
    I've went to my gp she's referred me for another scan of my spine and to the pain clinic and told me to go to the dentist about my jaw.
    The dentist has said it will be my arthritis they'll keep an eye on it and I've to eat a soft diet and try rest my jaw and referred me to the dental hospital for it I have an app in July.
    Rhumatology told me to wait till I go to the pain clinic as I've tried and failed with 5 different meds so am only on pain killers just now but now everything seems to be spiralling out of control and I've still not got an appointment for the pain clinic yet
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh dear! I'm sorry you feel things are just 'spiralling out of control'. That must be scary.

I guess everyone has done what they can - Pain Clinic appt, dentist's advice and the referral for a scan.

It's such a pity you can't take DMARDS right now as only they will hold things in check. I hope you can get back onto some, or biologics, when you next see your rheumatologist.

What did the physiotherapist say about your problems with the exercises? I understand what you're saying about the hypermobility potentially making it all very difficult but I'd have thought a decent physio would have been aware of that. No?
    Steven Wright
  • frank50
    frank50 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi I have RA that travels all over my joints and my jaw now is bad. Im take sulphasazaline and hydroqlor and my doc gave me Naproxen to help with the jaw flare ups. They do help a bit and I have to eat soft foods tho
    Hope this helps info wise.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
  • frank50
    frank50 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    frank50 wrote:
    Hi Claire I have RA that travels all over my joints and my jaw now is bad. Im take sulphasazaline and hydroqlor and my doc gave me Naproxen to help with the jaw flare ups. They do help a bit and I have to eat soft foods tho
    Hope this helps info wise.

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I find that my jaw gets like that if I ear to much on one side, I try to wat or chew rather, on both sides, i.e. even wear and tear. It seems to help.
  • 40withKneePain
    40withKneePain Member Posts: 25
    Options
    When it comes to the Jaw, Has anyone got metal fillings?

I have been to see a holistic dentist and she has advised the metal could be why my jaw hurts to much. I am now getting all the meatl filling removed and replaced with the white ones
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I really wouldn go down this route. There's no real evidence for it. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/25/should-amalgam-fillings-be-removed
    Steven Wright