Hello from Terry!

GYPSYROZ77
GYPSYROZ77 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi I'm Terry!
I am a 59 yrs old, and was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I'm a bit new at this and don't know a lot about how to live with it, as I suffer a lot of pain and stiffness. It has taken a lot for me to learn how to adjust to this illness. It has been a very painful journey for me. I have been going to physical therapy sessions and seeing a doctor monthly and do get my medication for the arthritis and for pain. My arthritis medication meloxicam was working fairly well, but for some reason the past few days it hasn't worked at all and I have had a lot of pain. I try not to take my pain meds too often because they are very addicting. I have been prescribed Percocet [/color] 10 mg.I have also heard a lot of good things about CBD oil although I am not very familiar if there are different kinds. So I'm not sure what would be the best for me maybe someone can enlighten me on that subject. honestly I'm not sure how that works because I am allergic to marijuana,I believe its the THC so I'm not sure if the CBD oil would be good for me, as I am a little afraid to take it. Also if someone could give me some information on the difference between those two I would be very grateful. Any other information with living with Osteo would be appreciated as well as I've gone thru this journey very depressed not knowing how to cope with it all. It's been very hard for me because I love being outdoors and now I'm not able to go out as much as I used to or ride my bike. I've spoken to so many people that tell me they have osteoarthritis but they don't go through the pain that I do so I'm not sure why it affects me this way. It puts me in a very deep state of depression to the point where I cannot tolerate the pain. I'm hoping to find a way to live with this in a better State of mind. My doctor did prescribe me an antidepressant duloxetine, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure if there is a higher dose that might help me better deal with the depression. Thank you for listening and welcoming me to your community.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Terry
    Welcome to the forum,so sorry you are going through a lot at the moment we understand what you are going through as everyone here has a form of arthritis and with various levels of pain. We are a very friendly forum and will try and help in any way to make you feel part of the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • vickyp
    vickyp Member Posts: 27
    Hi Terry,
    I am sorry to learn that you are having such a tough time. I am 54 and have OA too and I struggle too. Like you I have been historically active and find it hard to deal with the impact on my lifestyle and the pain. I am still active but I am having to change the activities that I do ie; aerobics has been changed for pilates, spin classes for swimming, walking instead of hiking etc

I was first diagnosed with OA in my big toe around 5yrs ago, no-one said anything then about it spreading into other joints though which it has done. In the winter I think that something has gone seriously wrong in my body and I get low/isolated emotionally.

Pain is not easy to quantify and I am never sure if my pain is excessive or if I am just not good with dealing with it. Until we can step into someone elses body we will never know I guess.

I am trialling CBD oil and my experience so far is that it is probably just snake oil. But I am going to continue to trial it for a month. I would be wary of taking it if I were allergic to THC though because it is pretty unregulated stuff and who really knows whats in any batch unless you were getting medically prescribed stuff. Apparently, it is can interact with other meds too.

How long have you been struggling with the physical changes in your body? And when did you get diagnosed?

Warm wishes
    Vicky
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I am starting my 23rd year of psolriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis was diagnosed back in 2011: some joints have one, some the other and others both.

I am very used to pain and keep my pain relief intake at a steady and low level, I have 30/500 cocodamol and take four per day. It does nothing more but dull the sharper edges but that enables me to function coherently. I have not tried CBD or anything on that spectrum and never will but as I understand it the oil has the hallucinogenic element removed. I am also fortunate in that being female I have fewer pain receptors than males I am guessing that with the name Terry you are a bloke? As for other people and their OA those who genuinely have it have been diagnosed by their GPs but there are many who like to say they have it when they don't, they are merely confusing the aches and pains of ageing with the disease. Idiots.

Pain is subjective and individual, one man's agony is another's minor twinge. The perception of pain is down to how effective one's neural transmitters are, if they are efficient you will feel more pain, if they are inefficient the opposite applies. There are times when OA appears to worsen, when the weather is cold and damp it can be aggravated and personally I find it I overdo acidic foods that sets it off. It's bad at the moment because I have had a very active day, that's self-inflicted because I broke my self-imposed rule of stop when you think you can do more. You'd think I'd have learned by now. :wink:

How to live with arthritis? For me it's a case of preparation, recovery and not being stupid. If I have a busy day coming up I prepare by resting the day before and often the day after. The being stupid thing is exactly what I've done today. I keep myself distracted from the pain by engaging my brain with other things, I read, do puzzles, clean the house, chat to friends, do some hobbies when the joints permit. I can no longer walk properly, cycle, dance or swim but I do exercise and occasionally to to the gym to do non-weight-bearing stuff such as the cross-grained; the stronger the muscles the better they support the joints. Exercise hurts too but I tell myself it's a more positive pain. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Marcia
    Marcia Member Posts: 84
    Hi Terry
    Welcome to the forum.
    I too suffer with OA and I also get stiffness in my ankles. I manage it by doing foot exercise that the Physiotherapists gave me and also exercise in the hydrofoil at my local leisure centre.
    I am open to any suggestions also that would be able to minimise the stiffness in my feet
    The forum is a great place for support. I'm sure that others will add their suggestions to support you.
    All the best.
  • JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    How do you know your have an allergy as opposed to an adverse reaction / interaction to Marijuana ? Has this been formally established ?

I take CBD oil, have done so for several years, and find it a mildly useful adjunct to Co-Codamol. However, it is not (IMHO) a panacea.

As CBD oil is available over the counter at many pharmacies it would probably be worthwhile discussing with the pharmacist at an outlet that sells it. I say
    this on the basis that whilst most GP's (and hospital based physicians) should be aware of it they are not necessarily familiar with the minutiae.

Ultimately there are different strengths and usual practise is to start with the lowest dose on the weakest strength and increase slowly over time.

Given your history you obviously need to obtain some expert advice.

Arthur