I would like to announce.....

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 29. May 2019, 14:47 in Chit chat
.......that I will not be standing as a candidate for the Tory party leadership. I seem to be one of the last people left in UK who will not be putting their name forward.

Who, in their right mind, would want to be leader of the Conservative Party / PM right now? Brexit is a poisoned chalice and the whole matter of Europe has been the downfall of so many Tory leaders.

I had to chuckle this morning when I read that Michael Gove had joined the scrum. Remember how he "reluctantly but firmly," as he put it, decided last time that, after supporting Boris, he himself should stand, and Boris should stand aside. Hey, with friends like these.......

I genuinely can't understand the mentality of anyone who would want to take over NOW. If you have ambitions in that direction, why not wait until next time around when, hopefully, civil war will be less likely?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Because not one of them is in the least troubled, or indeed hampered, by considerations of what is in the best interests of the country or its people. They just want a stab at the power, safe in the knowledge that even if(as is inevitable) they make another/even more of a pigs ear, they won't find themselves disadvantaged financially or otherwise. Total lack of self-awareness also enables a mindset of 'well of course I can do better'. Denial of any part that UK policy may have(has) had in the referendum result coupled with longstanding and ingrained ignorance of the way the EU works enables disregard of the problems of Brexit. Result? - problems - what problems?
    They are aided and abetted by the lack of an opposition party; if nothing else the past 3 years have highlighted how unfit for purpose our so-called democracy is.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Well said - sums everything up perfectly SW and Daffy.

They have not even started counting the votes from the Euro MP elections. :roll: :roll:

£7600 a month, plus expenses, :shock: :shock: for every Euro MP. I could do that :lol::lol:
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Its funny how they all appear out of the woodwork..prestige , wages who knows..but the strain in Mrs May face told it all :shock: SW I think you would do much better.. :) not Boris please.. :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbles
    No, not Boris :? :? - they are all slating each other already - "you don't want them, you want me"............... :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The Sun (not a paper I normally quote :wink: ) referred to it / them as 'a circular firing squad' :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I see Boris is due in court on a charge of public fibbing someyhjng to do with £350m.......... and theres a 'get Boris' group in parliament with Labour promisjng a vote of no cknfidence as soon as hes in the driving seat, popular bloke!

Why would anyone vote for the Tories again?
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Why would anyone vote for the Tories again?
    Old habits die hard coupled with not liking/trusting the other side. And those who can't/won't choose either will, inevitably, contribute to maintaining the status quo, either by choosing a 'minority' party or not voting at all, thanks to our oh so democratic FPTP system.