A balloon in the shoulder joint

Truffle
Truffle Member Posts: 7
edited 4. Aug 2019, 06:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Wondered if anyone has had one of these inserted? I have been offered one to relieve pain and reeducate the rotator cuff muscles. Would love to know about the experience and after effects - thanks you guys!
Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.
[Stephen Hawking]

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'd not heard of this before so I googled it. Plenty of stuff comes up, as always, but the one I'd take note of is from NICE (National Institute for Care and Excellence) which provides national guidance and advice on health and social care.

This is what they say. To me, it sounds promising but is clearly still at the experimental stage and I hope it was explained to you that you would be part of a research study.

https://tinyurl.com/ybp7kffe
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The only medical balloon I've experienced was inflated high in my right nostril to stop a nose bleed. It didn't work (but the medical grade cocaine I took before the procedure was a blast!) If you go ahead I hope it helps more than hinders, good luck and let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Sounds interesting, I could do with some of those!
  • Truffle
    I'd not heard of this before so I googled it. Plenty of stuff comes up, as always, but the one I'd take note of is from NICE (National Institute for Care and Excellence) which provides national guidance and advice on health and social care.

This is what they say. To me, it sounds promising but is clearly still at the experimental stage and I hope it was explained to you that you would be part of a research study.

https://tinyurl.com/ybp7kffe

Thanks for that, I didn't check out NICE <doh!> - however, that was published 2 years ago and I have found out that my surgeon has definitely done a few! Will let you all know what happens!
    [Stephen Hawking]
  • Airwave!
    The balloon appears to be for rotator cuff repairs rather than worn joints.
  • Truffle
    I promised to update everyone about the operation. I had it done as at some time I broke a tendon in my shoulder and it was not reparable - had physio to teach other parts of the shoulder to cope without it!
    The op went fine - a keyhole with 3 small incisions, the balloon inserted and in fact a lot of scraping of surfaces done as well! Unfortunately the nurse didn't put the sling on right after the op but I slept most of the way home so it didn't really matter.
    The pain afterwards was pretty uncomfortable, then 3 months of physio and I continue to do the exercises (when I remember!). The physio had some issues as no aftercare treatment protocol had been prepared. Anyway the end result is that, having had a shoulder that jammed at some angles and hurt at others, now the shoulder is definitely usable without pain. The balloon was used to keep everything in place while it all healed. Here endeth the lesson!!
    [Stephen Hawking]
  • Airwave!
    Was the shoulder joint worn, some more info would be good?