Things that you are entitled to......but don't know about

Options
kfrweaving
kfrweaving Member Posts: 45
edited 18. Aug 2019, 08:23 in Work and financial support
Had a visit from Social Services yesterday and i was shocked to find out about what i'm actually entitled to. For a start i didn't even know that i was entitled to a visit from the Social Services. The woman who came to visit said i wouldn't be entitled to help, free of charge, with hand/grab rails outside the door and also inside the house. She has arranged for help with the toilet. Also she is looking into getting some kind of care plan for me with care call. I don't have any family living nearby and my neighbours are mostly elderly or are away quite a lot. But she said that things can still be organised. I didn't know i was eligible for help from a food bank. Initially when she said that i felt embarrassed and ashamed as i felt that the food banks were for those who were in shelters, homeless or for people who were having to support families. But when she asked me how i was actually financing my food purchases i had to admit not very well. As i've had both benefits removed she said that i would qualify. I do feel humiliated, but i realise that as i have diabetes then the food issue could turn into something more serious. Also i thought i didn't qualify as i didn't live in my nearest town. With having two walking sticks and having to use a backpack there is only so much you can carry! Deliveries can apparently be arranged, so the Social Services are looking into getting help with that, even if it's just till the end of the month. Court is on Thursday, thankfully a really kind neighbour is taking me there and bringing me back home so i don't need to think about buses. Even if the Court says yes i won't get the ESA benefit immediately. Also if the Court says yes, i won't need to go to the foodbank when the benefit starts.
It felt good talking to someone who was reassuring about using a food bank. Cleaning the house has become an issue, so she is recommending names of companies that can do cleaning.
For me hoovering under beds, sofas, etc has become impossible.
Obviously that will not be free, but i will have to bite the bullet and accept that i will have to get help with some things. I used to take pride in being able to do all the housework and gardening myself.

Another thing that i found out was that my electricity company can moved the metre reading box further down......not any more than 90cm......at no cost. A few weeks ago i made a stupid mistake of trying to stand on a chair to get a reading and slipped and fell. So i've made an arrangement with the company for the box to be lowered so that i can actually read the metre correctly!

I know that i can get a free bus pass and a third off rail travel.
The bus travel is great....bus sadly can't be used in England as i live in Scotland.

Sorry for such a long message, but it is shocking what people are entitled to, but they don't know it. I still meet people who don't even know that they are entitled to a free bus pass.

Can't wait for the Court on Thursday to be over and done with. Finding it difficult to remain calm and relaxed. Roll on Thursday!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in needing to use Food Banks. I feel rather ashamed of living in an affluent country in which so many people need them - often working people. And, another misconception - people have to be referred either by Social Services, CAB or some other recognised organisation. They're not for anyone to just turn up, get free food and then spend what they save on alcohol and cigarettes as someone once 'told' me.

Food Banks don't all operate the same way. At our local one you would not be able to ask for 'diabetic friendly' food but then they do deal essentially in basics which I would have thought would be suitable for most. If there are children involved some cakes or biscuits might be added but I don't think this is usual for adults. It's more tins (meat, fish, soup etc) and packets (pasta, rice, cereals etc) plus bread, eggs and milk.

It's good that you're getting help and I hope this will be an encouragement for Thursday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Why wait to be told? In this day and age of the interweb (to which you clearly have access) there is no reason not to discover what one can or cannot claim or have done to help. As I understand it Food Banks are how the welfare system used to be, there for those in need through no fault of their own. Be thankful for it and when your circumstances improve pay it back by donating, either with goods, your time or both. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kfrweaving
    kfrweaving Member Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm just grateful that i can get some food. Because of the size of the place they can't cater for diabetics which i totally understand.
    The food bank i only want to be for a short as time as possible and i definitely will be donating food, when i can afford to do so.
    Because i don't drive and can't walk far enough to the foodbank and carry the food home, i'm kind of stuck. But thankfully i've got a few friends who are helping me out.
    I got my voucher from the Social Services, but in a neighbouring town people have to go to the job centre. So things vary hugely across the country.
    Just happy that i'm getting help and food from kind people.
  • Dorothy
    Dorothy Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm involved with a local food bank and also volunteer as an occasional befriender with CAP and often find that people are very reluctant to use foodbanks. I always tell them that the key is the word 'bank' - some people put money into a bank and some people borrow money from a bank. Think of a foodbank in the same way - you 'draw out' or 'borrow' food when you need it, and when you have more than enough, you can 'pay back in' for the next person who needs it! Never be ashamed to use one if you need it - that's what they are there for. The real shame belongs to those who have allowed our country to get to the stage where foodbanks are needed, never to those who actually need to use them!