Mattress Advice Please!

Options
peanut222
peanut222 Member Posts: 3
edited 30. Aug 2019, 17:40 in Living with arthritis
Hi there, I am new to the forum and looking for some help/advice please?
I have arthritis in both my shoulders and also some trouble with my neck.
I think I have found a suitable new pillow!
But I am really struggling with my sleep, I love to sleep on my side which is obviously a problem! I'm averaging about 4Hours sleep a night at the mo, as I am constantly waking up due to pain, often unable to get back to sleep. It's really starting to grind me down!
I was wondering if anyone could help with a suggestion on potential mattresses that they can recommend? I'm thinking a much softer mattress may be the answer?
Any help, advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!
TIA

Keith

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Keith, welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with sleep due to the pain in your neck and shoulders. Please know you have come to the right place for advice. I am sure our members will soon help out, but in the meantime I have found some information from the Versus Arthritis website which may be of some help.

Here is a link with some information on improving your sleep when suffering from arthritis:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/sleep/

The next link has some tips on how to make your home more 'arthritis friendly'. If you scroll down halfway there is a section specifically on mattresses & pillows:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/your-home/

I hope this helps.
    Please let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes,
    Alice
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    Hi Keith, might you be better with an adjustable bed so you can raise either the pillow end, the foot end, or both? I hope you can manage to find a solution to your problem as not being able to sleep makes matters worse.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When we bought our new beds we opted for two singles with mattresses which can be zipped together or separated. I have a firm mattress, he has a softie. The individual mattresses are easier for me to turn - he never bothers with the finer maintenance details of household kit. We took around four hours to choose, I took my Kindle and read both sitting up and lying down for at least twenty minutes per session. At one point I very nearly nodded off so knew I had found the right mattress for me.

Overall It has made little difference to the quality of my sleep, I still wake every ninety minutes or so with pain breakthrough because, with two kinds of arthritis and around forty affected joints, natural pain-free movement no longer happens but I am more comfortable in my discomfort. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • peanut222
    peanut222 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, thank you very much for your help/suggestions/experiences so far!
    I think i’ll plan a trip to a mattress shop to get a feel of the sort of things on offer...
    The mattress I currently have is pretty comfortable to lay on my back, head propped up reading, it’s just the sleeping side of things that I’m now struggling with...