RA

Options
Mike
Mike Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone my name is Mike
I’m not new to RA had it from age 34 till 40 then went away but back now age 53 with vengeance
Never shared anything before but feeling quite depressed and want to perk myself up
I know being positive will help me but find this a challenge
Guess I’m craving some kind of support but know many people worse off than me

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome,you will find the members here happy to share experience,take a look at our leaflet - hopefully it will help
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis
    Al
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi Mike and welcome from me too :)

There will never be a shortage of people in the world who are worse off than us but that doesn't lessen our own pain. I'm pleased you have joined our creaky gang but sorry that you qualify (if you get my drift).

I have RA too. I've had it for most of my life and, in the early years, I found it did come and go a bit. Then one day it just moved in permanaently.

What meds are you on? I take meth(otrexate) and hydroxy(chlóroquine). I find exercise is essential but I'm very lucky in that my family have always been great.

It's hardly surprising that a lot of people with arthritis suffer from depression. My husband is currently awaiting a new hip and he said this morning that he thought the co-codamol was making him depressed. I pointed out that he has much to be depressed about. No need to blame the cocos. He's in a lot of pain, has had to give up his beloved golf and the companionship it brings, he can't go for long walks and can only potter in the garden. That's arthritis for you. It robs us of a great deal.

My soution has always been to take up something new that I can still do. You have decided to join us here which is a positive move. Please join in anywhere. We're a very friendly lot though the forums are relatively quiet and solemn these days. We used to have a lot of fun threads like this one https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45850&hilit=arthritic+songs
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bella123
    bella123 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Mike

my name is mandy, i am the same age as you and was diagnosed with RA three weeks ago, it came as a total shock although i knew deep down it was more just getting a wee bit older when my fingers and hands etc.. started to hurt. my doctor was really good at picking up my symptoms really quickly.
    how are you managing with work, i am lucky i work from home as the mornings can be a bit of a nightmare

its hard not letting this get through to you, i was going to india for five weeks at xmas and had to cancel which i am really sad about, but hopefully when things settle i will be able to get back to normality again

third week on medication and all is going well, just a bit tired
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Sadly long term illnesses affect our moods. I too have RA,OA and Fibromyalgia. Have been to dark places but with the help of CBT it’s helped me get my head around these problems and what it has taken away from me. I am feeling much more positive. I went down the Counselling route rather than have medication but that was my choice.
  • Mike
    Options
    Hi Jackie Mandy and stickywicket
    Thanks for your warm welcome
    I’ll tell you a little more about myself
    I’m currently on methotrexate at 15mg and sulpasalazine
    Since starting meds 10 months ago my hands wrists and fingers are much improved
    My biggest problem is my right ankle/foot which has been giving pain every day and is
    causing me most of the problems work wise
    It is also stopping me from going for walks which is something I used to really enjoy
    I am having MRI scan on it Friday because consultant wants to check it’s related to the RA he has already given steroid injections twice which have not helped at all
    I guess overall things aren’t too bad but I could see this condition leading to me to retire early ( perhaps not a bad thing)!!!!
    It’s interesting and helpful to hear your stories of how you and your families have been affected
    You mentioned exercise and I have recently stopped my regular swims and I must get back to this because I know it helps and I love the sauna afterwards

Sorry I’m mumbling on abit but great to be in contact with you all
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Mumble away, Mike :D No apology needed.

Steroid jabs are funny things. For some, they can work well for a couple of months but for others, like yourself, they do nothing.

I think getting back to swimming is a góod plan though don't overdo it at first. Might you be able to walk a bit more with an ankle support? I've sometimes used a neoprene one for precisely what you mention. They can just support us to go a bit further. Just as long we don't overuse them. That's not good.

Please let us know how the scan goes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bella123
    bella123 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    hi mike

i am currently on methotrexate at 15mg, getting towards my fourth dose on Monday, this week has been so much better than last week as i had a virus which really pulled me down as i'm usually pretty healthy, as i said i work from home which is lucky as waking up in the mornings seem to be getting a bit harder and also later. I am trying to not let this take over my life although sometimes i get moments of sadness, not had to much impact on family life as my children have all left home, although i do not think i have had so many flowers from them before which they appear with every time they visit lol
    i love the fact my husband is really supportive but i also do not want to be dependant as i like doing things myself, but just take a little longer these days.
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow. Ease yourself gently into the pool and gradually build it up until it’s comfortable.Remember you’re not alone .
  • Mike
    Options
    Thanks again folks for your kind words
    I appreciate all the handy tips you have mentioned and I will definitely get back in the pool next week
    Mandy it’s brilliant your husband is so supportive and your kids too
    I have read all sorts of horror stories about methotrexate but I have to say I have not had any problems at all and feel it’s working for me really well it’s been a year now on it and no side affects apart from tiredness
    It will be interesting to get this scan done tomorrow and find out what’s going on in the ankle
    It’s nice to come home from work and see all your encouraging posts and like I said earlier your various suggestions on ways to improve things
    Have a nice weekend everyone