Hi Everyone

Bluebell7
Bluebell7 Member Posts: 41
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi I'm Katie,
Very glad to have found this community.
I had chronic RA as a child, I went into remission then my symptoms returned as an young adult.
I have since been rediagnosed as having fibromyalgia when I feel it's arthritis. I have raised inflammatory markers, very swollen and stiff joints.
In lots of pain still.
Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I had other auto-immune junk as a child then began psoriatic arthritis when I was 37, osteoarthritis was diagnosed when I was 52 then fibro the following year.

I inject methotrexate weekly and humira fortnightly for the PsA, I swallow 30/500 cocodamol, do suitable exercise and rest often for the OA and fibro. I also take a small daily dose of an anti-depressant to strengthen my mental abilities to help me cope better with the nonsense. Life is OK, having it better is not an option so I make the best of what I have when I have it. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bluebell7
    webmanager wrote:
    Hi Katie
    welcome to the forums, we are delighted that you have found us too. I am sorry to hear that you are presenly in pain with lots of inflammatory markers. When you are flaring in this way life can be very difficult. What medication are you on and can you speak to your rheumatology team to expalin how you are feeling. Meanwhile you might find this secion on our website about managing pain useful https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    I am sure other members will share their experience. Let us know how you get on and what things work for you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon

Hi,
    I take Fentanyl patches, Dihydrocodeine and tramadol at night.
    And gabapentin.
    I'm currently looking for a new rheumatology team.
    Thanks
    Katie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Katie. I have RA and OA. No fibro. Unfortnately we can't diagnose. Have you accessed your previous notes to see how conclusive the diagnosis was when you were a child? What meds were you on then?

I hope you can get a second opinion which will reassure you. If necessary, a private rheumatologist could help but I do remember one forum member who did that, got two different opinions and didn't know who to believe.

You're on a staggering amount of pain relief. Was this all prescribed by the GP or was some from the rheumatologist? I'd be comatose :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bluebell7
    Hi Katie. I have RA and OA. No fibro. Unfortnately we can't diagnose. Have you accessed your previous notes to see how conclusive the diagnosis was when you were a child? What meds were you on then?

I hope you can get a second opinion which will reassure you. If necessary, a private rheumatologist could help but I do remember one forum member who did that, got two different opinions and didn't know who to believe.

You're on a staggering amount of pain relief. Was this all prescribed by the GP or was some from the rheumatologist? I'd be comatose :lol:

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, it was prescribed by the rheumatologist.
    I am currently obtaining my notes, I do also have x-ray evidence of erosion by an inflammatory disease.
    I am very grateful for my meds, however like an a/e consultant told me they won't stop the erosion etc.
    I have been on methotrexate, a malaria one helped me as a child. I didn't respond as an adult.
    Thanks
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The 'malaria' one will be hydroxychloroquine. It's a mild DMARD usually prescribed as 'an assist' to others. I take it with methotrexate.

Thanks for the update and I hope someone can help you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright