New member inflammatory arthritis

Options
MsP
MsP Member Posts: 10
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello this is my first post. I’m 5 weeks into what seems like an arthritis flare. I got referred to an Early Arthritis Clinic where a rheumatologist drained fluid and gave steroid injections in my knees saying this would boost my recovery but I only felt the benefit for about 24 hours. I was told it’s probably not RA but ‘inflammatory arthritis’ and I have no idea if or when I might expect to make a recovery.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Msp
    Welcome to the forum, sorry you are in a lot of pain we all understand what you are going through as everyone here has a form of arthritis and goes through various levels of pain.

We are a friendly forum and will try and make you feel part of the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    Hope all goes well Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, your post has taken me back in time to 1997 because this is how my inflammatory arthritis began. It wasn't that much of a surprise because it is caused by an over-active immune system and I was born with eczema, another of the three hundred or so auto-immune inflammatory conditions. The generally held opinion about arthritis, by those who don't have it, is that there are only two kinds and only old people get it. Wrong and wrong.

I never had any success with either draining or steroiding, the swelling and pain always returned within a few hours. Once the right combination of meds had been found things improved but on that front things are very different now; the sooner one begins the meds the better the outcome can be, something I witness on a regular basis. Do you know what the next step is going to be? Have you had blood tests or any suggestions about medication? I am in my 23rd year of it (I began when I was 37) so know a little about it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi MsP and welcome also from me.

If you haven't yet seen it, here is a link to our website on the subject of knee pain:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/knee-pain/

This includes tips on personal management of the pain, treatments, and some gentle knee exercises you might like to try. It is important to keep those muscles strong and healthy to help maintain your current level of fitness and aid recovery.

Brynmor
  • MsP
    MsP Member Posts: 10
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Msp
    Welcome to the forum, sorry you are in a lot of pain we all understand what you are going through as everyone here has a form of arthritis and goes through various levels of pain.

We are a friendly forum and will try and make you feel part of the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    Hope all goes well Christine

It certainly does seem a friendly forum. I already feel supported by these responses. I will experiment with posting in different categories. I’ve had a reasonable day, managed to take mum out for coffee & lunch, collapsed in bed for a solid sleep then baked a sponge cake for the first time since I was poorly. I’m trying my best to combine effort & rest & focus on positives. My next big milestone is 2nd appointment with rheumatologist on 3 December. Take care all