Rituximab

Elaine4939
Elaine4939 Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Dec 2019, 07:13 in Living with arthritis
Has anyone got any info concerning the administration of the drug Rituximab infusion and if it works, what side effects it gives
I have read some leaflet and don’t like the sound of it

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Elaine and welcome to our forums.

Rituximab is a type of drug known as a biological therapy. We have a very good page of information on this here:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/rituximab/

As well as describing what it is the page also includes information on side effects and other procedures.

I know a couple of our current members have had experience of successfully taking this drug, including Kerry67. You might like to take a look at a similar thread from February - May 2019:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50145

Do join in across the forums and do let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi Elaine

Its the best biologic I tried , been on five anti-tnf + Rituximab , the infusions take a long time , you have a steriod infusion first & the a rituximab infusion for 4 hours , total about 7 hours

I did not have any side effects , I would recommend this to anyone
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    As previously stated that’s how it’s run. Some hospitals give two rounds with a week apart. Urine sample is tested,paracetamol And antihistamines given. followed by IV steroids then Retuximab. You are monitored ie blood pressure,pulse,temperature throughout. Only reaction I had was the steroids and then after a few years had a reaction to the Retux. That’s just me though as it frequently happens whatever meds I have. Take some munchies,reading material and sit back and relax. I hope it works for you.