Info for employers??

Options
Hugeeuguk
Hugeeuguk Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Dec 2019, 07:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello Folks,

This is my first post in the group and my first post in any group for a while, however during the last 6 months I have managed to work a 40 hour week in retail. I have not worked full time for the past 5 years since getting PSA ...... So I work for full a very big department store and I have a good boss and the company is very supportive at a head office level. However my line manager is trying his best to understand what's going on but he is 10 years younger than me and rushed off his feet all the time.
So can anyone help me with info that is aimed at employers to give them a better understanding of my needs without reading a 30 page document ???
I look forward to hearing from you all

Huge

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Huge
    Welcome to the forum,so glad you have found us. Everyone on the forum understands about pain and we all suffer from various forms of Arthritis and relating illnesses.The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat and everyone will give information and advice.
    Hope all goes well.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Huge, I dont think I can help as I was fortunate enough to be self-employed. I began my first arthritis (which turned out to be psoriatic) back in 1997 when I was 37 then osteo was diagnosed when I was 52. I stopped working when I was 55.

People associate arthritis with the elderly and 'know' it comes in two kinds, namely rheumatoid and osteo. If only, eh? :roll: What they never grasp is that the auto-immune ones can flare for weeks and months and the inflammation affects the whole body whereas OA does not flare, it is merely aggravated by the weather or the person with it overdoing things. (I have a foot in both creaky camps and can tell the diference). This can lead to us being unreliable employees so that is an immediate disadvantage.

I don't think there is a factsheet for employers as such but there is plenty of information out there which could be easily summarised into a suitable document. Two handy interweb articles are 'There's a Gorilla in my House' and 'The Spoon Theory' which give good, basic explanations of living with any chronic condition. We might have the same disease or versions thereof but how we are affected is as individual as us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi. Not much as such but, in the long section on PsA here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/psoriatic-arthritis/ if you scroll down to 'Living With PsA' there is a bit about work. And / or you could copy and paste some of the other sections.

I hope that helps and good luck with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi there.

In addition to Stickywicket's excellent link to our page on Psoriatic arthritis, our website also has some great information on getting the right support in work.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/work/

There is a good section on talking to your employer about arthritis including preparation for the discussion, things to show your employer and what approach may prove to be the most successful.

If you would like to talk to someone regarding this, do give our free Helpline a call on 0800 5200 520 Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm.

Do come back and let us know what you decide and how things are going with you.

Best wishes
    Brynmor