Trapezectomy

Options
Forgetmeknot21
Forgetmeknot21 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello. I'm new on here I really could use some other people who have had a trapezium bone removed. I'm 14 weeks post op and my hand is still so painful. I'm doing well according to my surgeon. Everything hurts in my hand. It's difficult to use in the morning and gets easier as the day goes on. I'm just not sure if anyone has gone through the same thing. Thank you so much for reading this.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi forgetmenot and welcome.

There are lots of people who have come on here after a trapeziectomy and usually it's because they're not healing as quickly as they had hoped or expected. After a while they disappear which I presume means all is now well :D

I'd guess that, if your surgeon is happy, the rest will follow. I can understand it being worse in the morning as it's had a long lay off overnight and all muscles, tendons etc have to be coaxed into working again.

Here are some former threads on the op https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=trapeziectomy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

And here is what Versus Arthritis says about the op https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/1420/trapeziectomy-factsheet.pdf

I hope these will help but, if you're worried, do get back either to your hospital or your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Like everyone else who posts about this I suspect the thinking is 'It was a small operation so why is it taking so long to heal?' I am not sure why people thnk like this: on the surface it is a small operation but the hand is extremely complex in its structures, musculature and general physiology, it is not a fleshy part of the body which also inhibits healing, the temptation to use it too much is overwhelming thus disrupting whatever healing has begun. It often takes years for damage to reach the stage where surgery becomes an option yet we expect healing in days: the operation is merely the beginning of the hard work of recovery and recuperation.

Being a patient patient is one of life's hardest challenges, forget birth, divorce, moving, they're all a walk in the park in comparison. Your surgeon is pleased, respect his skill and work by keeping doing the right thing (very little), be kind to your hand to give it a chance and the benefits will be well-worth this temporary setback of maybe six months or less with things getting better every day. DD

PS When you are sorted spare a thought for all those to follow with the same question. Very few do leaving it up to those who have not had this op to encourage and support. I had a double carpal tunnel op, now that did lead to interesting times! :lol:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Gosh forgetmeknot!

This operation happens quite a lot to people here and some do struggle others seem to fly through it.

It's easy to think there's something wrong or something wrong with you. When I had back surgery it took me a year not to regret it :oops: but now I 100% do not. I felt quite a failure.

I think you have already been given this link, but just in-case this is me trying to copy a post by our Webmanager:

Hi Scatty1
    welcome to the forums it is lovely to have you here. We will keep our fingers crossed for your recovery as well. We have a great factsheet that as put together by our information team and the members of this community. I hope you find it useful. https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/1 ... tsheet.pdf
    There have been quite a few members who have had this procedure and I am sure they will share their experience with you. Meanwhile keep us up dated with your progress and we will be thinking of you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon

Best of luck and keep in touch!

Toni xxx
  • Forgetmeknot21
    Forgetmeknot21 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    hello again

Thank you so much for the advice. I guess I'm going to need to be more patient which is really difficult. I just worry that I might have something else going on which is silly.

I will keep you updated as I progress.
    Thank you so much.

Hi forgetmenot and welcome.

There are lots of people who have come on here after a trapeziectomy and usually it's because they're not healing as quickly as they had hoped or expected. After a while they disappear which I presume means all is now well :D

I'd guess that, if your surgeon is happy, the rest will follow. I can understand it being worse in the morning as it's had a long lay off overnight and all muscles, tendons etc have to be coaxed into working again.

Here are some former threads on the op https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=trapeziectomy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

And here is what Versus Arthritis says about the op https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/1420/trapeziectomy-factsheet.pdf

I hope these will help but, if you're worried, do get back either to your hospital or your GP.
    [/quote]
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    It's not silly. It's perfectly natural. We all fret over what we can't actually see.

Do you have a further appointment with your surgeon or your physio?

Are you still taking pain relief?

My understanding is that people recover at very different rates from this op but, if in doubt, do get someone to check it out. GPs can be quite reassuring in such situations.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • KF56
    KF56 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello. I'm new on here I really could use some other people who have had a trapezium bone removed. I'm 14 weeks post op and my hand is still so painful. I'm doing well according to my surgeon. Everything hurts in my hand. It's difficult to use in the morning and gets easier as the day goes on. I'm just not sure if anyone has gone through the same thing. Thank you so much for reading this.

Hi there. I am 16 week post trapeziectomy and am in a very similar position to you. I absolutely was not warned and did not expect the extent of pain, stiffness, soreness, weakness, and lack of strength during the recovery period. I was told I could be driving after 6 weeks and scar soreness will last for 6-8 weeks. I have already complained to the surgeon that his leaflet given to patients prior to surgery is unrealistic and gives inadequate information. A bit late for patients who have the surgery and are inadequately informed. My pain gets worse during the day, especially when I try to use it. The surgeon suggests I try to do a bit more every day, but that is simply not possible. He says my recovery is normal, but I certainly don't agree if I compare it to the information I was given. From the many comments I have seen on this forum, it seems the information given to patients is totally inadequate. If we had been warned of the extent and the timescale of recovery, maybe we wouldn't need to turn to these forums for advice and information. Sorry for the rant, but on occasions I have felt pretty depressed about the whole situation
  • rubysdad1
    rubysdad1 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Just 4 weeks post op on my left hand I can sympathise totally with these issues but have been told to be patient. The real point is what's the point of taking out a couple of offending small bones when the arthritis is causing severe pain elsewhere daytime and at night. A lasting cure please.