Trapeziectomy

scha5193
scha5193 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi I am new to this group and am having a trapeziectomy early next month. I also have tenosynovitis on the ulnar side of my wrist which the surgeon is going to ‘abrade’. Does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome scha5193 to Versus Arthritis Community Forum

I sorry to read of your issues re trapezietomy and tenosynovitis, unfortunately, I'm not in a qualified position to give you a direct answer without searching the net, I wouldn't want to give you any wrong comments. I can't seem to find anything directly on our site. Can I suggest we throw this open to the forum in the meantime because we are very likely to have regular forum users with better knowledge than me. I will point out your post to our Forum Supervisor also.

Can I also suggest you give our great Versus Arthritis Helpline 0800 520 0520 a call.

Enjoy the forum.

John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It is almost a weekly event, someone posting about having or having had a trapeziectomy, there are many to be found on this board. I hope yours goes well and be prepared for a longer recovery than you might expect.

The term abrade means to erode (either naturally or deliberately) so I guess your surgeon plans to (for want of a better word) 'shave' away the part of the tendon which is leading to the synovitis but I am not a doc, just an experienced arthritic who has had a double carpal tunnel op. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Parlicoot
    Parlicoot Member Posts: 61
    Hi there scha5193

Just to add to this conversation, you can find information about trapeziectomy and download our factsheet from this page of the website:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery/

and scroll down to the section on "Common types of hand surgery".

Also, here is a thread by Megrose2 who had the operation and posted about it before and after:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50379

Tenosynovitis is the inflammation of the fluid-filled sheath that surrounds a tendon. The best person to get a proper safe medical description of your proposed surgery is to ask your doctor or surgeon to explain it to you.

Do join in on the forums and also come back and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • scha5193
    Thank you to everyone that replied. I will follow up after my op.
  • Forgetmeknot21
    Forgetmeknot21 Member Posts: 4
    scha5193 wrote:
    Thank you to everyone that replied. I will follow up after my op.

Hello I had a Trapeziectomy 16 weeks ago and I am still recovering. As expected I have found it to be uncomfortable most of the time and some days need to take pain medication. I didn't quite realise not having the use of 1 hand could be quite so challenging. My washing up is still not so good. I have not regretted having it done and I'm looking forward to being completely free of pain. It is a long haul but well worth it in the long run.

I wish you a speedy recovery. Just also to say I was in a plaster and a hand splint for 11 weeks which I didn't expect. And only at 12 weeks was able to return to driving. That is still painful but getting there. Good luck
  • KF56
    KF56 Member Posts: 5
    scha5193 wrote:
    Hi I am new to this group and am having a trapeziectomy early next month. I also have tenosynovitis on the ulnar side of my wrist which the surgeon is going to ‘abrade’. Does anyone know anything about this?

Hi, I'm also new to the group and had a trapeziectomy on 23rd October last year. Despite attending my physiotherapy appointments and doing the exercises , I still have lots of problems. I still take pain killers every day, have continuing pain, stiffness, hyper-sensitivity in the scar and surrounding area. There is continuing weakness and swelling in the thumb. I would have accepted these symptoms if I had been given full information prior to the surgery, but I honestly feel the leaflet I was given did not go into enough detail. I urge you to read as much as you can prior to the surgery, talk to lots of people and ask for lots of details. I was told I might be driving after 6 weeks and the scar might be sore and tender for 6-8 weeks. Unfortunately, this is totally unrealistic. Recovery is very slow and can be extremely frustrating. I wish you the best of luck and hope your recovery progresses better than mine
  • scha5193

Well after my operation being cancelled twice I have now had my trapeziectomy and the tenosynovitis sorted. As someone else replied I am in a cast and was expecting quite a lot of pain. However apart from immediately after the op when had a great deal of pain once back on the ward hardly any pain at all. Plus my lack of pain has been ongoing. Some discomfort but no pain. Am having my cast off in March 3 weeks after my surgery and can’t wait. I know I’ll have another splint but hopefully one I can take off the bathe etc.