Hello

Options
Katefindlay
Katefindlay Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi my name's Catherine. I had a hip replacement 2years ago and it's been great. The pain I get most just now is in my hands, keeping me awake at night. Also itching. I take paracetamol and voltarol but it isn't doing much good. I'm a housekeeper so my hands are in constant use and when I stop and rest they stiffen up very quickly. Am looking for ideas on what else I can do to ease them and be able to sleep better. Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Catherine
    Welcome to the forum,I too have had a hip replacement and feel great as well no pain there but as you say hands keep you awake mine do I just have to keep them warm and the pain not so bad, glad you have found us it's a great forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat everyone has various forms of Arthritis and understand what you are going through.
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi Catherine. I've had a couple of very successful hip replacements. Hands are difficult things as we use them so much and I imagine your work doesn't help. There are all sorts of aids and adaptions on all the disability shop sites (even Amazon) but they are essentially for round the home rather than work.

Your employer has, by law, to make reasonable adjustments for you.

The only help I can think of is 'GraceB' on here. She is / was a housekeeper. She's a very helpful person and, though she hasn't been here for a while, if you PM her (and if she gets it) I'm sure she'll reply.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Catherine,

Welcome from me too :) I just wanted to add that you could ask your GP to refer you to an occupational therapist. That's what I did a few years ago, when I was struggling with hand pain (in my case, I type a lot for work). There's some information on the Versus Arthritis website: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/therapies/occupational-therapy/

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Katefindlay
    Katefindlay Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks Everyone