Methotrexate and bronchitis

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Member Posts: 48
edited 28. Jan 2020, 13:53 in Living with arthritis
First time I’ve been ill since starting MTX in May and not sure what I should be doing...

Thursday I had a fever (thankfully it only lasted a day). Friday the coughing started and is now incessant. And my lungs feel uncomfortable. Not painful, just irritated. Dry cough that feels like it really wants to be chesty but can’t be.

I phoned the rheumy helpline on Fri as my booklet said to contact them immediately if I have a dry cough. Left a voicemail but they didn’t get back to me. I’m pretty sure this is just a winter virus, not a side effect though - which is what I guess the booklet is worried about.

I took my MTX as usual tonight but I’m dreading the hangover tomorrow combined with sleeplessness because I’m coughing all night. Should I have taken it?

And how long do I leave it before calling my GP if I don’t hear back from rheumatology? Pre MTX I wouldn’t have bothered the GP for a winter virus unless it lasted several weeks but I don’t know whether it’s best to stop the MTX till I’m better?

I know you can’t give medical advice but how urgently would you be trying to talk to someone? I’m probably over-reacting!

I’ve had an occasional cough ever since I started MTX - if colds start going straight to my chest like this now I’m going to be grumpy. :roll:

Comments

• pinkteapot
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Update: Spoke to my GP this morning. I need to go in so they can listen to my chest because they said MTX slightly increases the risk of chest infections and other nasties.

Going to ask if they can give me anything to stop me coughing so I can get some sleep! Took my MTX last night as usual so today I have the MTX hangover combined with not having slept much for three nights. :cry:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My rheumatology unit has always told me to stop the DMARDs at the first sign of infection and I always have: surely it's common sense. There are times when we need our immune systems to be active so they can do what they are supposed to. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jackie47
    Jackie47 Member Posts: 108
    My helpline states it could take up to 48hrs to return a call so if you need immediate advise ring your surgery. I would have given the med a miss . Missing a dose isn’t going to make an impact. Hope you feel better soon.
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi pinkteapot (great name!),

Not much to add, really, just that I'm glad you've been in touch with your GP and I hope your appointment goes well (or went well, if you've had it already). I also hope you're able to sleep better soon :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • pinkteapot
    Went to the GP Monday who had a good listen to my chest and checked my vitals. No sign of infection so she was happy it was a viral cause. (Am to go back at first sign of infection such as green phlegm!).

She said it’s a tough one re methotrexate. With viruses they advise keep taking it unless they really drag on.

I’ve now been coughing incessantly day and night for 8 days and am shattered from the disturbed sleep. The cough hasn’t improved and I’ve now lost my voice because of the trauma from the coughing. So.... I am SORELY tempted to skip the MTX on Sunday evening. The MTX hangover was far worse than usual this week as it always makes me tired for a couple of days and I need extra sleep - so that combined with badly interrupted sleep didn’t mix well!

I’ve also got a 10 hour day at work on Monday which happens once a month and is always hard the day after MTX so I just don’t think I’ll cope, eek!

Since starting the MTX last May I’ve only skipped a dose once before, and the side effects were worse than usual the following week - the only thing making me not want to skip one!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We are all different. I skip my meth at the first sign of anything but I've been on it for years and don't even notice the odd missed dose.

I hope your throat clears up soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    Ah yes, the famous green goo :)

I'm glad you've seen your GP, but I'm sorry about your cough, still. Did the doc suggest taking anything for it? It's been years since I had a bad cough, but tea-and-honey soothed things a little, as I recall. I had decaffeinated tea in the evening, to make sure I got to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Good luck for Monday x
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • pinkteapot
    Thanks, phoenix. I skipped my methotrexate on Sunday night - I'd hardly slept for a few nights and just couldn't face it. :| I *think*, touch wood, I might finally be shifting this thing. I didn't wake up coughing last night (first time) and haven't coughed as much today. Hoping it's clearing and will be cleared enough by Sunday coming that the next does of meth won't let it take hold again. :)

To add insult to injury, just found out there was a slightly ropey result in my last bloods (see separate thread). January started off brilliantly and I was really positive for 2020 but the last couple of weeks have really gone downhill (some non-medical issues too). :roll: :lol:
  • phoenixoxo
    You're welcome, pinkteapot. I'm pleased your cough seems to be clearing and I'll take a look at your other thread now. Best wishes for the non-medical issues too x