Humira with virus

Elmbow
Elmbow Member Posts: 80
edited 29. Jan 2020, 07:15 in Living with arthritis
Hello everyone. I've had a nasty cough and sore throat for over a week and then over the weekend it became painful to swallow and I've got a few small white spots on my tonsil. So I think it's turned into mild tonsillitis.
I'm due to take my Humira this weekend but I don't know if it's okay to take it. And if not, how long I have to leave it before I can start again. I think it's just a virus, and I thought it was okay to continue with a mild virus.
I called the biologics helpline yesterday morning and left a message but nobody has returned my call so I wonder if anyone here has any advice instead?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am sorry you haven't been well. I have always followed my rheumatologist's advice to stop humira and meth at the first sign of infection and not to resume until well. Other rheumas advise differently but to me it makes sense. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Elmbow
    Thanks for responding. The nurse gave me the impression that it's fine to continue the drugs with common viruses and only to stop if you have an infection - I know a virus is a *type* of infection, but the message was slightly ambiguous. I'd rather play it safe, but I'd also rather not skip a dose unless I really have to!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You're welcome, this comes up time and time again so I can type it in my sleep. If I miss a dose I either do it the following week, thus beginning a new fortnight pattern, or leave it until the dose is due. I no longer bother telling rheumatology what I am doing, they know I know what to do.

It is worth establishing what your normal temperature is, I run between 35 and 36 so anything above 36 is a sign I am not well. It takes us a while to produce symptoms so when we do it means that something has a hold.

There was one nurse in rheumatology who had RA, she was the one every patient took notice of because she was aquainted with our dread reality: those who were only versed in theory were not as informed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Elmbow
    I run a low temperature. Always have. The result is when I'm very ill - e.g. with proper flu - my temperature is only ever slightly above 'normal' (their normal, not mine), if at all. I think this has been even more noticeable since starting biologics.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I just stop my meth for everything until whatever it was is better. Frankly, I can't always tell the difference between virus and infection and would rather err on the side of caution.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright