realwriter
realwriter Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone

I have been suffering with osteoarthritis for around twelve years now but it has recently become less easy to manage. I am hoping to speak to people here who know what this is like and am happy to share my experiences in return. I look forward to contributing to the forums in any way I can.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi realwriter,

Welcome to the forum, I’m sure you will find a home here please post wherever you feel comfortable and stay for as long as you like, hopefully we will still be chatting a year from now!

You are experienced in osteoarthritis - we have something in common x

I have osteoarthritis many joints, I’ve had my first knee replacement and will have the other one done when I can manage no longer. I managed to gain some range of movement in my poorly knee when getting new knee Daisy used to living with me, so I’ve set myself a challenge to ride along the prom from Bangor to Prestatyn this summer. Not all in one go you understand, in little cycles but regularly. We are very lucky to have such beautiful scenery all around us.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • realwriter
    realwriter Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Yvonne

I've been offered a new knee but lost my wife 3 years ago so live on my own, which makes me try to stave this off as long as possible, due to the recovery time.

I pretty much ache in every joint in any case. My hands are worse at night but I recover some movement s the day goes on. I go to the gym as often as I can, which is usually no more that twice a week and do fine on the exercise bike but struggle with aches in my legs on the treadmill. It always feels better when I have finished but I seldom feel like doing it and have to force myself.

I wonder if anyone else is in a similar position and am grateful for any suggestions offered.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I apologise for the delay in replying - I rarely think to look on this board for new people as having arthritis isn't really news. :wink:

I have OA plus other junk, it's all pretty grim at the moment thanks to the winter weather. It affects everything, doesn't it? I began my first one when I was 37 and OA was diagnosed when I was 52. I am now 60 so used to the challenges and demands of the disease. I keep pain relief to the minimum so I have room to maneouvre when things are aggravated, I take 30/500 cocodamol which dull enough of the sharper edges to allow me to get on with stuff. Distraction is my way of coping, I love reading, doing puzzles of all kinds, chatting to friends and getting out an about when I can. I rely on walking aids and they are a boon, enabling me to go further and do more. I was refused new knees when I was 52 and probably won't bother now as other leg and foot joints are shot to bits, negating any potential benefit.

I am sorry you lost your wife, what a blow. Do you have friends and family close by? From your name it sounds as though you write - is that so? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben