Hello from a newbie

Beckieboo
Beckieboo Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi, first time on the forum I'm 41, diagnosed 6 years ago with widespread osteoarthritis and 6months ago an additional diagnosis of fibromyalgia. I've got a new diagnosis of possible dactylitis. Just wanted to say hi I am hoping that this community can help me with my feeling of frustration as I think I'm still at the anger stage that I can't do everything I want to do and can't keep up with my kids 😔

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Beckieboo
    Welcome to the forum I too have Osteoarthritis and can understand your frustration at not being able to do everything you use to do and the anger of it too as when I was first diagnosed I felt the same, I however have had 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement and have some sort of relief. My kids are all grown up with children of their own now,but one of my daughter's has fibromylegia and other related problems she is only 40 years old and gets very frustrated at times that she can't do things that she use too watching her go through pain as a mother is agonizing. Everyone on this forum can tell you similar stories and will soon contact you to tell them to you. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat, you will get great support from our members.
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Beckieboo and welcoe from me too.

The anger is natural but it will pass. I had arthritis before having my two kids (RA > OA) but we still had great times together and, indeed, we still do, now with the grandchildren too.

I doubt any parent can keep up with their kids :lol: , with or without arthritis but we just have to re-think how we do things and when, factoring in rest periods, teaching them the all-mportant lessons of independence (which makes our own lives easier too). I don't mean using them as skivvies :lol:

I've always tried to take on something new and interesting for every activity lost and it works for me. Also check out useful aids. I couldn't manage without my lightweight cordless vac, my veggie steamer and lightweight kettle.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Beckieboo
    Thanks both, I think it's just getting to me currently as mid flare and the rheumatologist I have seen in the past is a 5 month wait for an urgent referral and a 2 month wait for a different hospital and a new consultant but tomorrow is a new day
    Thanks for the replies x
  • stickywicket
    You're presumably seeing the rheumatologist for the fibro. I know nothing about that but I do know about OA (more than I would wish :roll: ) and mine simply gets worse if I am overdoing things. Your GP could probably help with the OA as that's their province so there's a possibility of some relief before the rheumatology appt.
    Steven Wright
  • Beckieboo
    Hi no the rheumatologist appointment is for the suspected dactylitis the gp who diagnosed fibromyalgia basically implied it may be that but it may be down to depression! I've heard of pain affecting your mental health but not the other way round? Anyway I'm hoping I can get to see a consultant soon who may be able to help in most of my pains
  • stickywicket
    Actually, what your GP said is true. If we are feeling down and so concentrating on our pain it feels worse. But.....

I looked up dactylitis and it seems to be the 'sausage fingers' effect of an autoimmune type of arthritis. Did your rheumatologist whom you say you saw in the past not diagnose a type of autoimmune arthritis eg rheumatoid or psoriatic? Did they just discharge you? I well recall my sauasage finger days. Virtually impossible to do anything with them. Then my rheumatologist put me on DMARDS (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs) and things improved.

It sounds as if these are what you need. Perhaps your GP - or another in the practice - could try to speed up your referral.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    As Sticky says our mental state can affect how well (or otherwise!) we cope with pain. However depression can itself manifest as physical symptoms such as muscle pain. I think there are drugs which can help with both fibromyalgia and depression symptoms so it might be worth persevering with the GP to look into that, especially if you are facing a long wait to investigate the dactylitis possibility.The other thing that might be worth asking the GP about is VitD supplementing as low levels can cause muscle and joint pain and low mood, regardless of what else might or might not be happening. The cost of the blood test may make the GP refuse that, but agree to you trying anyway since most people are on the low side in this country. VitD3 supplements are very cheap(the ones I have are 99p for 60) so no need for prescriptions.
  • Beckieboo
    Thanks I will look into the vitamin d and I'm under our local counselling services and now sleeping better since the addition of amitriptyline xx