Rheumatoid arthritis

Options
Ironman27
Ironman27 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
Hi there,
I’m 52 years old and had Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis now for about 27 years. I’ve had both hips replaced and am awaiting both knees. I’ve tried pretty much all of the drugs available with little effect. I was on Humiria a few years ago and it was the best I’ve ever been. Then I had a flare up and my consultant took me off it. From then on I’ve been on a high dose of steroids and tried numerous other drugs. I’ve asked to be put back on Humira and been turned down several times. I had a private consultation and the consultant was extremely worried about the high dose and length of time on steroids. He recommended Humira and told me they had been treating me with the wrong drugs for years now. He contacted my consultant and gave his opinion. My consultant agreed and put forward for funding for Humira. I have heard now I have been turned down for this medication. Sorry about the long message.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Ironman27 and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear of your long experience with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. The fact you were taken off Humira means that there was some really important factor in changing your medication at the time. Can you recall what this was?

We have information on adalimumab (humira is the brand name for this) which does include some of the reasons under the section on risks and side effects:

It will be well worth going back to your doctor/rheumatologist to ask for the reasons for the rejection to see if this helps take you further.

Do come back and let us know how you get on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Jojo78
    Jojo78 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Ironman27, Sorry to hear about your struggles with your conditions and medications. How peculiar that your consultant took you off Humira. I'm 42, I was diagnosed at 21 but had major problems throughout childhood and no one joined the dots. I have Polyarticular Rheumatoid Arthritis and osteoarthritis as well as a whole load of friends it brought along for the ride. I too was on Humira for a number of years and to me it was a wonder drug! I felt the best I had in a long time. During which I had 6 joint replacements, so my consultant took me off it and put me on adalimumab. I've been struggling ever since and they kept saying I could go back on it. I'm sorry to be going on about myself, but I find it very strange to hear the same thing is happening to someone else. Is there something we don't know about Humira?
  • Jojo78
    Jojo78 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi again, I made a slight error in my reply. I was on Humira/adalimumab and was put on abatacept/orencia. I got my meds messed up, it wouldn't be the first or last time!
    Sorry for the confusion. X