What is the best pillow for arthritis in neck?

I have had arthritis in my neck for a long time but I am now waking each morning with a severe headache. I am also trying to manage pain of frozen shoulder. I have looked at various pillows marketed for neck arthritis but would be grateful for any advice that can given.

i can only sleep on one side due to frozen shoulder and do not sleep on my back naturally.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

The pillow I mentioned on the 2nd May has been consigned to the "old pillow cupboard" as it became less effective quite quickly; for the past couple of months I have been using a V pillow which tucks behind my neck as well as allowing me to tuck it under my chin (side sleeper). It has not given me more than my usual 2 or 3 hours in the sack but it has helped the pain when I am in the sack. In addition I have been using a Contour leg pillow for a couple of days which (touch wood) has helped a bit with my back pain in bed; can't advertise on here but it is the latest I have seen advertised on the TV by a company whose anagram is LMJ. What they only tell you on their website is you get a tenner off if you buy 2. Specially designed for side sleepers. Hopefully given a few more days/weeks the combination of both may give me some more kip - finger's crossed.

• Hi PMBride

Thank you for posting on the forum. I’m sorry to hear that you have a severe headache every morning when you wake up. Together with a frozen shoulder it sounds like you have a lot to contend with. Although you have arthritis in your neck I am wondering if you have mentioned these headaches to your doctor, it might be worth doing so just to be sure they are part of your arthritis.

I can see that Mike1 has answered you and looks like has given you some helpful tips. You could also try reposting on our ‘living with arthritis’ forum, where you will receive more responses.

This is the information we have in our neck pain booklet:  

‘If your pillow is too firm or thick, it can make neck pain worse. Changing the number or position of pillows may be helpful. Your head and neck should be supported so your head is level with your body in a neutral position. The pillow should fill in the natural hollow between the neck and shoulders – a soft or moulded pillow may be useful, or a supportive roll inside your pillow case can support the hollow of your neck.’

I have also given you a link to our shoulder pain booklet where there is information about frozen shoulder.

You may find some further 'getting a good nights sleep hints and tips' within this link:

If at any point you would like to talk things through please give us a call on our helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am – 8pm), here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence.

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline advisor